the end of trackmaster!?

11 Replies, 11304 Views

i have followed these toys for a long time.

i found it very interesting- maybe disappointing. in the 2018 releases.

you decide.

but let us look at a timeline.

since fisher-price did its take over.. we had a "bigger is better" theme.

this was evident in several releases.

first, the avalanche set, with several sets "stepping" down from that.
these sets have always been, in my determination, a extra-large, a large, a medium and continues downward.

second, the shipwreck sails set. again bigger is better. these introduction sets were always advertised as "taller, bigger longer.. etc etc.

third, the super station. does anyone have this? if you do.. then you know it is massive. the box alone.. one could live in.

however.. how about this year? there is no extra-large. not that i am disappointed. just making a note.

the largest set this year is quite small.

any thoughts?
We usually don't hear about a large tie-in set until New York Toy Fair next February. No doubt Mattel will also show off the Push Along range and how it works with the Motorized TrackMaster.
oh yeah i forgot the "sky high bridge jump"
at 8 plus feet long

yeah, i saw that tie in. it made me nervous.

yet the "tie in" i think we are both referring to has been over a year.
so... where is the "tie in"?

maybe, as a large conglomerate corporation, they are testing waters.
trying to pull all "train lines" into one market.
however, if one were to "buy" this-no pun intended-wouldn't the distributor keep advertising?

yet nothing, no train sets that "tie in" multiple train lines.

since the super station-that is
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2018, 07:18 AM by Super.)
Having bought most of the “big sets” for my son in the past few years, I see the rationale in scaling back the size of these sets. The sets from previous years are massive, hard to store and difficult to assemble for most kids and parents. A lot of them are kind of “one trick ponies” that ultimately provide somewhat limited play value compared to their size and cost. I was glad to see that there are no massive sets this year, except for the Super Station being held over from last year.
This Thread brings up an interesting question in my head...besides these Scrap-Master II Revolution sets what is the largest retail set ever offered by any Manufacturer?

Is there one bigger that the 161 piece Thomas Ultimate set?
[Image: s-l16x00.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Off The Rails
the trackmaster selection at Wal-Mart, Toys R US, etc has reduced quite drastically. Trackmaster used used to occupy entire row. Nowadays, they are lucky if they filled one shell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Off The Rails
if Trackmaster ends, this should be Plarail's chance to replace them in the US and UK Market. They make better engines than Mattel will ever make. Takara Tomy will put Mattel to shame. Mattel will be so speechless on how superior the Plarial products are that Mattel will have to give the rights of making motorized engines to Tomy again.
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Off The Rails
(12-15-2018, 08:45 PM)Super Wrote: This Thread brings up an interesting question in my head...besides these Scrap-Master II Revolution sets what is the largest retail set ever offered by any Manufacturer?

Is there one bigger that the 161 piece Thomas Ultimate set?

that is a great question.

what is the biggest set? in numerical value?
good question.

this set of 161 pieces. poses a interesting dilemma.
anyone wish to chip in on the "biggest set"? 
as it pertains to pieces?

revolution set are in inches and feet. not pieces.
certainly a marketing gimmick.

but interesting all the same.

(12-15-2018, 10:47 PM)Trainboy90 Productions Wrote: if Trackmaster ends, this should be Plarail's chance to replace them in the US and UK Market. They make better engines than Mattel will ever make. Takara Tomy will put Mattel to shame. Mattel will be so speechless on how superior the Plarial products are that Mattel will have to give the rights of making motorized engines to Tomy again.

you bring up a, VERY, interesting point.

one that has been debated over many years

but! would you really want this?
i ask this question, not because i wish to change your opinion.
i ask because of the dynamic presented by plarail versus trackmaster.

plarail ( and don't get me wrong here! i love 'em! )

plaraial equals===> polished, refined, accurate. the only drawback to plarail is that it must retain a linear composition.
therefore, plarail limits itself. not in a bad way. it is just the nature of the beast.

on the other hand, trackmaster breaks from the tradition. it sacrifices polish, refined, accuracy.
and therefore, quality. that is the discrepancy between the two.

however, what trackmaster brings to the table is important.

that importance is...

it breaks the linear mode.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 07:23 AM by Super.)
If plarail wants to thrive on the north america market, they need to make train model based on the local agencies or well known north america train agencies such as Amtrak or VIA train in canada
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
(12-15-2018, 06:59 AM)trevor369 Wrote: yet the "tie in" i think we are both referring to has been over a year.
so... where is the "tie in"?

There was a tie-in known as the Scrapyard Escape Set for Journey Beyond Sodor in 2017, and this year's was the Turbo Jungle Set. Next year, there isn't going to be a movie but there will be 3x20 minute specials, so presumably there will be something carrying the theme of these specials.

The Super Station was a big notable occasion in 2017 for its size and being the first item to be compatible with multiple toy ranges that I can understand it overshadowed the movie tie-in products.

(12-15-2018, 10:47 PM)Trainboy90 Productions Wrote: if TrackMaster ends, this should be Tomy's chance to replace them with Plarail in the US and UK Market.
It would only happen if Mattel wanted to grant Tomy with a global license, and I think Mattel would rather dominate the market with their in-house products.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdogman's post:
  • Super