TrackMaster Lion of Sodor promo rolling stock

34 Replies, 24336 Views

Just thought I'd put this out there...
About 8 years ago there was an auction on eBay for a very rare (promotional only) Lion of Sodor cargo car, that was given to theaters as a display for the movie release of The Lion of Sodor... It was a flatbed with a statue of a lion, and it was never released or sold at retail.
At the time I was only focused on collecting all of the engines, so I didn't bid on it, and It sold for $40...
I have never seen another one listed, or even heard mention of it since.
Has anyone else ever heard of this, remember that auction, know anyone who has one, or ever even seen one these?
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, GreatGordonFan, Super
Do you have a picture Muddy? Seems like I have seen something similar but I am not sure or may be confusing it with something else.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
No Super I don't have the picture... It was a flat bed with a lion statue. I think there is a Take'nPlay version that was sold commercially, and there is a similar Ttackmaster blue flatbed that has a bronze horse statue too, but I've never seen another lion car again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MuddyPoppins's post:
  • Super
I’m intrigued by the notion that they released a Thomas movie in theaters! I thought that ended with the train wreck that was The Magic Railway.

I’d like to see this piece of rolling stock though. It sounds like neat, unusual part of Trackmaster history.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
There is indeed a take along version. In fact they are some what common based what I found on the Internet
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
So does the flatbed look like this two level one where instead of the horse you have a Lion. If so what color is the flatbed and is the Lion sitting or standing?

[Image: s-l1600d.jpg]
  • MuddyPoppins
Yes Super a flatbed just like that!
I think it was a sitting gold statue, but I can't remember the color of the flatbed, or honestly if any of that is right.
I only looked at the thumb nail once and dismissed it.
But I have always remembered the listing description. I think I wish I would've bought it. Lol
  • Super
Does he look like this sitting Take n Play?

[Image: s-8il1600.jpg]
  • MuddyPoppins
Never heard of this item, but it certainly sounds like a thing that could've existed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdogman's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
(12-18-2018, 05:17 AM)USuper Wrote: Does he look like this sitting Take n Play?

[Image: s-8il1600.jpg]
Yes, but the lion sits lower and is taller and thinner, and not so bulky. 
  • Super