Plarail S-42 223 Special Rapid Sound Repair

4 Replies, 5951 Views

I bought this train on Ebay for not very much, in 'sound not working' condition. Using a multimeter I found that there was a variable voltage of up to about 0.5VDC being delivered to the speaker via the green and yellow wires when the wheels were turned, but no sound coming from the speaker, so it seemed reasonable to assume that the speaker was broken.  I found a pair of equivalent speakers on Ebay, costing just £1.15p delivered, from China (how can they do that?), I've just fitted one, and am very pleased that it works!

The speaker specification is 29mm diameter, 16ohm, 0.25watts. The black one is the old one, the green ones are new.

[Image: DSC03699.jpg]

...and here's the train fitted with Nigel's latest 3D printed couplings.
[Image: DSC03700.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 09:51 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Nice fix there Chris glad to see the new couplings are working nicely too Smile

BTW - Did you decide what colour you would like the batch I'm going to send you in thanks for all your testing?!?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
Nice job Chrisjo. I searched for quite sometime on finding the right speakers for the TnA engines and then again for the EF-62/63 set. The ones I needed always seems to be a few mm off or a few watts off.. it is very satisfying though when finding the fix and getting these back to working order.
Excellent work C-Jo. I too often wonder how a lot of Chinese Sellers can make money with free shipping and low cost of product.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(01-16-2019, 10:10 PM)Nigels Wrote: BTW - Did you decide what colour you would like the batch I'm going to send you in thanks for all your testing?!?
That metallic Daisy colour would be good, or black, thanks very much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super