The New 3D Printing Thread

372 Replies, 230047 Views

Hi Super,

I've just found this video, seems there is a product out there that helps disguise the layer lines from 3D prints (see below video).  I'll be looking into this, but as it looks as though it is a USA product it might take me a while to find it at a resonable price (shipping is killer lol).

Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
I didn't quite understand the need for masking off the black parts? Seems like an awful lot of work and it doesn't seem like it disguises the layers because its clear but fills them in to the touch right?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I totally agree with that, I can't understand why they did it either as the only thing that would be different is that the masked off parts would remain matt in finish as opposed to gloss. But IMHO if you wanted to do it for that reason I would use this protective coating and then paint it afterwards Smile

My suggestion was more this is a way to mask the layer lines more than anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Anyway, always wanting to push the envelope here's scalewise the smallest print to date.  It is a model of the entire Harry Potter Hogwarts and printed at the largest size I could manage with it laying flat on the build plate.  I'm quite impressed, although the biggest problem was getting it off the build plate, it was so well stuck I had difficulty levering it off and in the process managed to crack the base.  Not a total disaster as I can glue it to seal the crack as it is a clean break.

So here I give you 'Hogwarts'

[Image: IMG-20190812-213300.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213316.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213344.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213357.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213413.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213438.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190812-213510.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Finno, Super
Just saw this on youtube;

[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Finno, Super
The resin printing is quite interesting. Nigels, do you think it would print the small gears found in the Tomy/Plarail trains? There were a few that I tried sourcing but never could find the right one. Or would a 3D print be better/stronger?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Not much information in that Creality CR-T Portable 3D Scanner video of how it works and a quick search turned up almost $1400 on Alibaba. Keep working on the technology please and get it down to plug and play and then I may get into 3D Printing but not until they make scanning one button in one button to print.

Thats a great question Ripley.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Firstly Mr Ripley, apologies for not answering your query, but somehow it passed me by, I've also been away on hols, so I'm still trying to get back up to speed.

But to answer your question, yes a resin printer should be able to produce gears to a very good resolution and if you pick the right resin should produce incredibly tough and hard wearing items.

Which brings me nicely onto my latest resin print which has literally blown me away with the quality it has, this was printed using a clear blue resin at 0.05mm layer heights (yes it can go down to 0.01mm if you want) and in its finished form stands only about as high as two AA batteries end to end on top of each other.

Enjoy!

Oh and for you Super here is the latest video (from Creality) for the 3D scanner product they are launching;

I think we should start making Tomy/Trackmaster Siderods again, do we think so?
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2