The New 3D Printing Thread

372 Replies, 229859 Views

Or... I could print some taller and/or wider risers Smile

Seriously, I will look to modify them for plural and add some optional faces when I get some spare time ;-)
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Ok, well following the couple of PlaRail bundles I bought recently I found myself with a couple of loco/tenders with the battery cover (coal) missing.  So I decided to duplicate one so I could print my own replacements as and when required.

Here's the prototype, the final versions will of course be printed in BLACK, this was just to test the size/shape/fit.  Seems I pretty much got it right, I just need to fiddle around with some bracing to make its a bit stronger and support the 'clips' a bit better.

[Image: IMG-20190221-214038455.jpg]
[-] The following 5 users Like Nigels's post:
  • AdamdBoyd, chrisjo, Off The Rails, Super, Ucwepn
Very nice Nigel..
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Now thats an awesome idea Nigels and one that is much needed for the older Plarail Battery tender engines as those covers keep getting lost or broken in kids toy boxes. Now all you need is to make programs for a Henry, Gordon and Edward tender coal cover as I think they are all different.
Excellent idea and work Nigels. I would imagine there would be a market for them if you sold them in a set with one of each for the Thomas lovers. There are also tender covers that are missing for the western type Japanese steamers like the Yoshitsune and Benkai. You see many of those engines listed on the Japan auctions with no covers mostly due the the covers not snapping into place and they easily pop off.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
That was my thought as well, I know in many job lots I've bought I've often got a Gordon, James or similar without his battery cover, understandable if they've been through little (or not so little) hands Smile

If you have a relevant section I can run a listing in I would be happy to provide them to members at a reasonable cost (i.e. shipping + filament cost) rather than list them on commercial printer sites which charge an arm and a leg.

I'll have to look (or get a friend like Sun or Muddy) to check which covers are interchangable - I know the one I have just produced fits both PlaRail Gordon and James, I need to dig out a Henry and Edward to check those.  Similarly I'll have to look at the covers for the 'real world' steamers to see what would be needed for those, but anything is possible given time Smile

I'd also be happy to supply couplings, both the new ones we developed and normal eye and hook ones if people want them and in any colour needed - PINK for Hello Kitty trains maybe?!? Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2019, 11:24 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
I always assumed that all the Tender battery covers were different for each character but I am certainly no expert there and I no longer have any to compare to.

As far as a relevant place to List your wares, I would think that the Trading Zone would be perfect for just Members if you weren't going full blown mass production for the public.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I'm no expert either super, all I know was in my last job lot I had a Gordon and a James, the latter missing its cover. However when I tried it the one from the Gordon fitted perfectly, so that's why I used it as a model to create the replacement. I will dig out examples of the other models although I'm pretty sure that Edward is a bit different as I recall.

If you are ok with me listing parts in the Trading Zone area I'll put a listing up. but I didn't want to break any rules. I'm not convinced I could go into 'full production' as you put it even with two printers as these things take time to print. But I'm happy to do them for our members Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
I think the whether the tender cover actually fits on other engines solely depends on the year the engines were manufactured. The tender size is the same for Gordon James and Henery really.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
I want to say that the cover for Henry’s tender was different but Gordon’s and James’s were pretty much interchangeable. To be honest, I got tired of dealing with broken wires on my kids’ engines and replaced them with later versions that had the battery under the boiler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Well I'm sure as time goes by I'll figure out how many different types/sizes there are an be able to make one for each type its not that difficult as they are reasonable simple constructs Smile

Any input from experts is welcomed though Smile