The New 3D Printing Thread

372 Replies, 229828 Views

Are you able to also create details on the inside of the cab like a firebox door, gauges, doo dads & such?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I definitely could, but for a PlaRail unfortunately the chassis/drive mechanism would interfere with it as that's where the motor/switch sits.  Maybe if I used a different type of chassis I could get away with it, I'll have to look see what options there are for the next model Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 03:28 PM by Super.)
Here's the final prototype (can't help but fiddle with bits that are not quite right till they are), printed in a rather nice 'brass' filament from Ziro, the pictures don't really do the model justice it looks a lot nicer colour in the flesh Smile

Final high quality prints are now currently running on both printers Smile

[Image: IMG-20190202-142511503.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190202-142521366.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Looking good Nigels. What I remember of the Salty Chassis is that it screws on the shell, does your model have a post to screw into? Do you think it would make it through a Plarail riser because of the height and weight?
There isn't a post, but there is a flat part that it screws through to hold it in place, so that is all sorted.  Height may be an issue, I'll probably get my beta-tester (aka ChrisJo) to test it for me fully once I have a final version printed to send to him.  Although if I squashed it any flatter it would look a bit odd I think, so I'm not sure how I would get round that Smile

The next model I'm working on may prove of interest when its finished.  I've got the first prototype modelled, I'm just waiting for one of the printers to finish printing the finals of this current design before I can run a first prototype out - watch this space Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 04:13 PM by Super.)
  • Super
OK, new day, new model, boy I seem to be getting the hang of this stuff at last lol!

This time I have what I think is a real beauty and what's more it fits on a Tomy Thomas chassis, or in other words the most common chassis out there!!

This is modelled on the narrow gauge type engines from the Welsh Ffestiniog railway.  I'm really happy with this one as it seems the first prototype is almost spot-on, it just needs a couple of little tweaks and for me to figure out how to model a 'coal' cover for the hopper to cover the motor and it will be ready to go...

Enjoy...

[Image: IMG-20190203-093312080.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190203-093322909.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190203-093406947-BURST000-COVER.jpg]
  • Super
Now that is a great idea. There are probably tons of old Thomas engines out there and owners with many of the same ones that wish they could do something with. This would be an easy way for them to be able to utilize some of them and add to their Layouts a new engine that no one has heard of before.

Is there a way to print a coal cover that would snap inside the hopper that is more permanent or at least hard to get in and out?

Yes, you are getting very good at this. Soon you will be a YouTuber sowing your talents and selling products or designs, making mimmions and forgetting all about us. Undecided
My thoughts exactly Super, how many people have numerous Thomas's sitting gathering dust, as they've picked them up in job lots with something they wanted. I've just printed a coal cover for the loco, it looks as though it fits, I just need to make sure the slot for the power swtch is in place and it will be ready to go Smile

I have no illusions I don't expect to make millions and do this purely as a hobby, even if I did I wouldn't forget about you guys, it's too much fun here, I mean where did I get the inspiration to get into this in the first place!
  • chrisjo
Can the tomy or Lego figure fit inside the cabs?
Which models? They should on both of the new loco's without any major problems Smile