Yesterday 06:46 AM
» Replies: 757
» Views: 251574
Hero of the rails model series logo
Last Post: GreatGordonFan
03-05-2021 07:58 PM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 184
was the prototype Buster really a protot...
Last Post: Tons of Trackmasters
03-04-2021 11:54 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 215
TrainMan2001's N Scale Trains and Projec...
Last Post: TrainMan2001
03-04-2021 01:47 AM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 2508
Wow.. very nice collection up for grabs....
Last Post: Tons of Trackmasters
03-03-2021 08:20 PM
» Replies: 63
» Views: 24836
thomas and friends mini series
Last Post: mikedaws
03-03-2021 09:07 AM
» Replies: 3199
» Views: 2154887
My go at the Tomy/Trackmaster Iceberg
Last Post: GreatGordonFan
03-03-2021 07:26 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 332
Vio's YouTube Videos
Last Post: Super
03-02-2021 11:55 AM
» Replies: 160
» Views: 22643

The New 3D Printing Thread
Holy cow, without that Micro Card there I wouldn't have thought them to be so small. The detail is very nice for something printed so small without much stringing either. Question though, with the blob of plastic on the bottom doesn't that make it hard to remove from the image?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
They're actually quite easy to get off the raft, you specify how close to the raft the actual model is printed and the raft flexes, so it can be removed easily Smile

Here's a couple more pics with them removed and two of them with the wheels fitted - oh yes and if you look closely you'll see that there are even seats inside them lol! Smile

[Image: IMG-20190130-011935642.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190130-012025529.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Ok, a bit of a surprise announcement for you today, but following hot on the heels of my completion of the 'Daisy' model I have ANOTHER to present to you, this time it is (currently) modelled as a slightly modified 'real life' locomotice known as a 'Manning-Wardle'.  This is modelled to fit on a 'Salty' chassis and will soon have available a 'face' as well as the normal smoke door as an option.  Anyway without any further ado I'll let the pictures do the talking;

First a picture of the initial prototype, unfortunately as well as a few weak points the smoke stack also proved to be too weak and snapped off during printing;
[Image: IMG-20190201-084630041.jpg]

This is a picture of the 2nd prototype with the weak points corrected and a slightly stronger smoke stack added;

[Image: IMG-20190201-084645732.jpg]

and here is the final version, for this version I made a few more tweaks to the smoke stack, increased the size of the buffer heads, added a slot in the roof for the power switch, slit in the back for the chassis tab, created a small switch extender and a few other little mods.  As you can see this fits the chassis perfectly.  Next I will look to paint one to show you how it may look completed.  I should add the black roof and smoke stack top were only done as the yellow filament ran out just before completion of the prototype print lol!!

[Image: IMG-20190201-084704859.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190201-084715803.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190201-084727635.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Superb work Nigel! Billy and Charlie are based on the MW L-class. Which particular Manning Wardle loco did you use as your inspiration?
To be honest I'm not exactly sure of the class, just had pictures lol!  Seemed appropriate for the chassis Smile

When I add a face I think I'm going to call him Eric Smile

Oh, I forgot to add those prototypes were printed at 0.2mm (draft mode)
Are you able to also create details on the inside of the cab like a firebox door, gauges, doo dads & such?
I definitely could, but for a PlaRail unfortunately the chassis/drive mechanism would interfere with it as that's where the motor/switch sits.  Maybe if I used a different type of chassis I could get away with it, I'll have to look see what options there are for the next model Smile
Here's the final prototype (can't help but fiddle with bits that are not quite right till they are), printed in a rather nice 'brass' filament from Ziro, the pictures don't really do the model justice it looks a lot nicer colour in the flesh Smile

Final high quality prints are now currently running on both printers Smile

[Image: IMG-20190202-142511503.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190202-142521366.jpg]
  • Super
Looking good Nigels. What I remember of the Salty Chassis is that it screws on the shell, does your model have a post to screw into? Do you think it would make it through a Plarail riser because of the height and weight?
There isn't a post, but there is a flat part that it screws through to hold it in place, so that is all sorted.  Height may be an issue, I'll probably get my beta-tester (aka ChrisJo) to test it for me fully once I have a final version printed to send to him.  Although if I squashed it any flatter it would look a bit odd I think, so I'm not sure how I would get round that Smile

The next model I'm working on may prove of interest when its finished.  I've got the first prototype modelled, I'm just waiting for one of the printers to finish printing the finals of this current design before I can run a first prototype out - watch this space Smile
  • Super
OK, new day, new model, boy I seem to be getting the hang of this stuff at last lol!

This time I have what I think is a real beauty and what's more it fits on a Tomy Thomas chassis, or in other words the most common chassis out there!!

This is modelled on the narrow gauge type engines from the Welsh Ffestiniog railway.  I'm really happy with this one as it seems the first prototype is almost spot-on, it just needs a couple of little tweaks and for me to figure out how to model a 'coal' cover for the hopper to cover the motor and it will be ready to go...

Enjoy...

[Image: IMG-20190203-093312080.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190203-093322909.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190203-093406947-BURST000-COVER.jpg]
  • Super
Now that is a great idea. There are probably tons of old Thomas engines out there and owners with many of the same ones that wish they could do something with. This would be an easy way for them to be able to utilize some of them and add to their Layouts a new engine that no one has heard of before.

Is there a way to print a coal cover that would snap inside the hopper that is more permanent or at least hard to get in and out?

Yes, you are getting very good at this. Soon you will be a YouTuber sowing your talents and selling products or designs, making mimmions and forgetting all about us. Undecided
My thoughts exactly Super, how many people have numerous Thomas's sitting gathering dust, as they've picked them up in job lots with something they wanted. I've just printed a coal cover for the loco, it looks as though it fits, I just need to make sure the slot for the power swtch is in place and it will be ready to go Smile

I have no illusions I don't expect to make millions and do this purely as a hobby, even if I did I wouldn't forget about you guys, it's too much fun here, I mean where did I get the inspiration to get into this in the first place!
  • chrisjo
Can the tomy or Lego figure fit inside the cabs?
Which models? They should on both of the new loco's without any major problems Smile