Today 09:53 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 63
Joke
Last Post: chrisjo
Today 08:35 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 155
Name someone who joined this year who ha...
Last Post: The Takara TOMY Man
Today 08:02 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 81
Shinkansen Transformation Robo: Shinkali...
Last Post: Trainfanz
Today 07:17 AM
» Replies: 629
» Views: 356014
My temporary layout
Last Post: Plarail Man UK
Today 07:16 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 113
Thomas 2021 Reboot
Last Post: Mister No
Today 01:32 AM
» Replies: 442
» Views: 77692
Plarail TOMY Thomas NEW RELEASES
Last Post: chrisjo
Yesterday 11:48 PM
» Replies: 1746
» Views: 1096035
Online Selling Shockers
Last Post: Donald9Douglas10Oliver11mp
Yesterday 05:44 AM
» Replies: 254
» Views: 72281
Mister No's Plarail Pics & Vids
Last Post: Mister No
10-04-2022 10:46 AM
» Replies: 998
» Views: 256026
stained's purchases
Last Post: PerkyHydrAan
10-03-2022 07:38 PM
» Replies: 70
» Views: 4436
Plarail English talking engines
Last Post: Super
10-02-2022 08:41 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 142
Reply to this if you need an investigati...
Last Post: Super
10-02-2022 08:32 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 180

The New 3D Printing Thread
(07-14-2022, 05:25 PM)chrisjo Wrote: Hi Nigels, could you remind us which printer you are favouring at the moment, please. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

My current 'work horse' is the Tronxy XY-3se, this has got all sorts of cool features such as auto bed levelling, filament out sensor, dual z-axis drive screws, touch screen etc...  It's a little more expensive than the Creality Ender 3 that I used to use as my main printer, but it is far more reliable, consistent and produces arguably better quality prints.

This is the link to the amazon one I got, but its currently unavailable, they may have other sellers selling it though; Tronxy XY-3se

Cheers, Nigel
Happily collecting things all my life... :D
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
I am curently in the process of 3D printing some rolling stock wheels at the moment, they're a group of 24 wheels. I'll be using them for spare parts in case I need them.

[Image: PXL-20220715-022411061.jpg]

If they do fit, I no longer have to salvage them from other models can go ahead and 3D print some more parts, pretty excited about this if they can fit.

When the image was posted, it was around 4% done
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/TB90Productions
[-] The following 2 users Like Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Super, Nigels
Let us know how they turn out T-Boy. It would be neat to see custom colored wheels for some trains.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Therealblack64YT
Not wishing to sound condescending, but a suggestion;

Instead of printing them standing upright print them flat on the bed.  There are a couple of reasons;

1. The layers will run vertically in the wheels when they are fitted to the model, this provides stronger structural integrity, printing them in the plane you wish to use the wheels you have the layers running the thickness of the wheel instead of the vertical of the wheel.  This may lead to them snapping more easily, if printed flat then the layer strength is better as it covers a larger area.

2. Printing them flat you should get 'rounder' wheels, if the layers are printed horizontally across the wheels the 'steps' caused by the layers may make them less accurate and rough on the driving edges.

3. Printing them upright on edge like it seems you are there is a higher chance that the print head may clip a wheel and knock the model over causing a failure.

Cheers, Nigel
Happily collecting things all my life... :D
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Nice suggestion, when I 3D printed them, it automatically adds a raft for support so they don't fall off. I did this so it doesn't take up as much space on the printer bed as it would if it were laying down.

[Image: Bhsf6QEtkfY1AzyzEs9GoiyoCa6-huUYMWCWs88k...authuser=3]
[Image: GFZVb7UunC8uYlwjzmQMRc_UGtTfr-GLe65GoA7N...authuser=3]
This is when I 3D printed some wheels, you can see some of the added rafts on the top photo.THe bottom photo is how they came out.
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Super
Today, I'm currently in the process of 3D printing some short couplers which was originally a model from Thingiverse. It was originally only 1 model but I edited to add 59 more to the file and has them standing up so it wasn't as much space on the printer.

When I print, it automatically prints a raft for support, it even prints supports around the model. Also, I never seen this printer known any models over.

[-] The following 2 users Like Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super
I have a 3d printer now. I probably should've brought it up earlier but yeah I have one now and I've just been clumping that with my regular work in my custom thread.
Just call me Ffar

Probably disassembling a TOMY Toy
[-] The following 1 user Likes FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • Super