Plarail/Tomy/Trackmaster - “clam shell” Motor Disassembly - Reassembly Tutorial

9 Replies, 10316 Views

Here is a quick video on how to disassemble and reassemble the engine from several different Thomas engines but mostly found in Diesel, Duck, Mavis, Diesel 10 and some others.  A sharp eye from Super notes that the tiny spring looks to have fallen over, I missed that completely, so be sure to have that in place when reassembling. 

Here is an image showing where the spring goes. (Thanks Super) Big Grin
[Image: Untitiuyled.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019, 09:30 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super, TheBlueSnowplow
Excellent video Ripley. Videos like this reminds me of my first times opening any of these motors and how nervous I was. After a while one realizes that these are so mechanically simple that it is no longer intimidating. One piece of advice I can give anyone opening a motor for the first time is to snap pictures as you go so you can reference the placement of the parts. This might have been a problem years ago but in this day and age with cameras on every phone and others carrying small video cameras its easy to do.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802, TheBlueSnowplow
Hi guys, this looks great this video, am going to give it a go soon! If things like the switch arm are broken where do you get spares?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jonesejm's post:
  • Finno
Spare engines would be the easiest route. I am not aware of the switches being reproduced to purchase by themselves.
Waves hand!!! I'm sure they could be printed Smile

Thanks for the pictures Mr Ripley I'm looking to create a custom gearbox for a project I've got on the go. I've managed to source the metal shafts and various nylon gears (including worm gears), I just have to figure out the arrangement of the gears to get the step down I need so this helps Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Yeah, I went that route too with the Western steamer repairs I was doing for Muddy. I found the shafts and the closest gears to be original but in the end I had to source spare engines and scavenge the gears. I could never get the replacements to fit right. :-(
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
cool video!
I fixed it! Not bad for my first go. To be fair looks almost new!!!
[Image: 10196777-55-EA-49-EE-B5-FE-EE2-FD005864-C.jpg]

[Image: 67-DC5978-E0-AD-4464-B030-AB16024-CEC08.jpg]

[Image: EABBFFC4-73-AB-4-D45-BE8-A-BBBAF8-B11-C66.jpg]

........and another one!!!
[Image: 106-A6674-64-D1-4-F1-A-9322-EEF4-C2-CFC4-DF.jpg]

[Image: AB9-F2-CD0-983-E-4254-9018-79-B9-A08-CAC6-E.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 6 users Like jonesejm's post:
  • chrisjo, confusedanddelayed, Finno, Nigels, ripley802, Super
Good job Jonese, You are now on your way to master repairer. [Image: toolman-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
(05-22-2019, 11:44 PM)ripley802 Wrote: Yeah, I went that route too with the Western steamer repairs I was doing for Muddy.  I found the shafts and the closest gears to be original but in the end I had to source spare engines and scavenge the gears.  I could never get the replacements to fit right.  :-(

Well I don't need to replicate a gear box, I'm planning on making a brand new custom one for a model that doesn't have one because its not motorised.  It's going to be an interesting ride, but if I can pull it off it is going to be great Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin