Where's Donald???

8 Replies, 10343 Views

With my new favorite Plarail Disney Branded Train came 3 surprises and 1 'why' that I had to fix.

First this Talking Donald Duck Train is fantastic but I have never seen (that I can remember) a battery compartment with the Thomas type motor like this one. it has a removable bottom and high side panels for the battery.

Second, They have 4 clear vinyl stickers over the rivets in the battery compartment of the middle, sound, coach. Is this a precautionary measure in case of battery leakage? I haven't seen this before.

Thirdly: Of all the Disney branded trains that I can remember that were sold exclusively at the Tokyo Disneyland Park I have never seen one with the Resorts Trademark on the bottom. Along with the typical Disney copywrite Logo commonly found on the Disney branded trains, the middle coach also has the 'Tokyo Disney Resort' Trademark. I don't believe I have seen that before. Whats also different is that this only appears on the middle coach with the engine and tail car only having the Disney Logo on them. You would think that if one had the Tokyo Disney Resort Logo they all would.

And finally, the reason for this little modification...this train has this neat clear observation bubbled tail car with a pop off top but..........there is nothing in it. Whaaaaat? Were the original plans to have a toy, vehicle or character in there and the idea was scraped after production? Seems strange that it was made like this with nothing which brings up.....................

Where's Donald??? I researched high and low for a Donald Duck that would be the right size and in the right position to place him in the rear. I think this one fits perfectly. I also have one that I will place in the box of the new train I have in the Future World Collection.

I wonder...Since Disney probably had all the say in the creation of this and all the Disney Branded items, was it them who decided not to include a character in there? If so why?

What do you think?

Click on the Thumbnails to get the full image
[Image: 002.jpg] [Image: 007.jpg] [Image: 010.jpg]

[Image: 014.jpg] [Image: 016.jpg] [Image: 019.jpg]

[Image: 022.jpg] [Image: 026.jpg] [Image: 028.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • ripley802
This is such a cool little train. What are your thoughts on the sound? Will this one be making an appearance in your Disney layout soon?

I do like the clear plastic pieces over the rivets and I think you are spot on that they are leakage protection. I have seen this in a few other new releases, like the new Talking Thomas and Percy I received. (Now if I could just find some of those AAA battery terminals).

That Donald is a perfect fit too, great job in finding that. I agree it is a bit odd that they left it open, and also that the clear part comes off so easy.
[-] The following 2 users Like ripley802's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
I like the sound. I do think that Donald may be speaking Japanese in his gravely voice but because of his voice, it doesn't matter.

I would have filmed him on the Disney Layout but I have to rebuild it because my 2 year old Granddaughter had her way with it. Dodgy
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, ripley802
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TOMY-TOK...ctupt=true

This I just found on ebay. Looks like a bus went in the back clear area.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AOF04's post:
  • Super
Good eye AOF, I completely missed that on the box I have, probably because that picture isn't on the back but on the top right. I don't think the bus is included and the picture might show what could be put in that tail car but to know for sure I hope someone can translate what it says. The Bus in the picture is a Tomica Tokyo Disneyland Resort Cruiser Bus that comes in some different variations but have the basic same design.

Thanks AOF for noticing that.

[Image: 016.jpg] [Image: hidetan15-img1200x900-1549263699eegysa17631.jpg]
Wow, I completely missed that on the one I have too..

The google translate app shows this as the translation:

You can put Tomica (minicar) on! You can see the inside from the window !! Nakami Hira Open like a figure. There are cases where influences can be seen in the environment. Rail, Tomica (Minicar is sold separately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ripley802's post:
  • Super
Ah, Thanks Ripley, that would explain the the Bus in the picture. But, in my mind, I didn't understand how Disney, which always theme's its merchandise after one of its character or movie, would not take the opportunity to add a character for the clear tail otherwise why have it? They probably would have sold just as many it they didn't have the clear part and it was just a pained tail car. Plus, the pop off shell becomes easily loose and doesn't stay on easily after using it for a while. Too easy to fall off, get lost or stepped on. I added a little layer of thick clear tape to the inside of the shell to add a bit more friction on mine. Its better but if a child was playing with it I don't know.

Plarail would have done better to have hire Tom Hanks from the movie 'Big' to play test this one before production. Big Grin
Do Disney put characters in with the other trains Tomy make? You know Mickey in with Mickey's train, Iron Man in the Iron Man train etc...?

If not it strikes me they are missing a trick there, unless they sell them seperately in the parks? Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Now I can't speak to the Super Hero trains or a lot of the ones based after Disney movies but it seams that all the ones I have seen that have a viewable part of the train will have some type of character in it which is why this Donald Duck train seemed odd to me with its tail car.

There are quite a few Plarail Disney Trains that have action characters in them like Chip & Dale, Pluto, Huey/Dewy/Louie. and some Toy Story Characters to name a few but the only one that I recall that has removable characters in viewable coaches is the Mickey & Friends Train pictured below which is my most favorite along with this Donald Duck Train and it has Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Donald and Daisy Duck.

Does anyone know of any other Plarail train that may have removable Disney Characters that I am forgetting?

[Image: 003.jpg]