meccano percy clockwork 1965/67

7 Replies, 8377 Views

the o gauge meccano percy set arrived yesterday, and i only just had a chance to get a better look and have a play with it. more photos here: https://sunstomyandfriends.weebly.com/ot...items.html

from what i found on google and wiki, this was the first ever train set based on the rev. awdry's books, and was sold in 1965-1967. it didnt sell well for whatever reason, and remaining copies had the faces removed, the smokeboxes replaced with a red one and were sold in france.

percy appears to have a strong motor, but doesnt run well on the track. i am wondering if he is meant to have traction tyres?

[Image: P1100289.jpg]
sadly, no outer box, but i am keeping the one he was sent in and will decorate using print outs from the original box that i found on google.

[Image: P1100290.jpg]
the black piece on the track is a brake, which somehow switches percy off as he passes over.

[Image: P1100292.jpg]
the other side.

[Image: P1100294.jpg]
this shows the hole in his undercarriage. it appears the brake lines up with it. the switch is in his cab window.

[Image: P1100309.jpg]
this shows how the track connects. its takes 8 pieces to make a circle, just like our tomy blue track, except its a much larger circle!

[Image: r1.jpg]
the boxcar has two opening doors

[Image: y1.jpg]
the yellow truck has no gimmick at all, except it was advertised as able to carry other toys.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 4 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, StarSwitcher07, Super
Sun, that’s a really cool set and a neat piece of Thomas merchandise history! Too bad it doesn’t operate better but I notice that about a lot of things that age.... jus’ saying’ *COUGH COUGH*.

I think we’ve had this discussion here before but I vaguely recall this train showing up in an episode of The Avengers during the Emma Peel (SIGH) era.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Emma Peel...hmmm...I remember my Great Grandmother talking about her Big Grin

@Sun

That train sure looks in great shape, too bad about the outer box missing but at least it has the inner form and that Meccano badge.

I can't (from the pictures) figure out how the wheels meet the rails. Do they ride atop the rail on the inside of the wheel hub, the outer diameter or on the bevel of those rails? I am wondering if you cleaned those metal wheels with a cotton bud and alcohol to get rid of any unseen greasy or oily residue and scrub the rails in warm soapy water and good rinse would make the train have better traction. Also, from the pictures, its hard to tell the size. Could you snap a picture next to a Plarail engine?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails
(02-15-2019, 12:07 PM)Super Wrote: Emma Peel...hmmm...I remember my Great Grandmother talking about her Big Grin

Get off my lawn, you whippersnapper!  Big Grin

By the time I discovered the hotness of young, Avengers era Diana Rigg, a fair amount of time had already passed. One of the local TV stations showed a block of 60s spy/detective show reruns during the late 70s or early 80s. Now, I only remember The Avengers and The Saint but there may have been others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
you guys are right, according to wiki this percy did indeed appear in an episode of the avengers back in the day [and showing my lack of age, i thought the only avengers visual media was the recent film]

super, percy kind of fits between the outside of the tracks. took the best picture i could to illustrate this. he also fits standard O gauge electric track, as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_10tG1...2744742744

the guy who filmed it has given me some good advice in regards to getting the best out of him, and i will get our clubs fix-it man to take a look on tuesday as i am reluctant to undertake maintainence myself on such a rare item.

[Image: P1100317.jpg]

he is quite a bit larger than plarail
[Image: P1100318.jpg]

[Image: P1100319.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails, Super
Thanks for the pictures. Ah, I see now that he rides on the flats of the rails but also there would be friction at the outside of the wheel and even more on the wheels flange. Those rails look pretty dusty and the metal wheels do look like they need a bit of cleaning if not a bit of emory paper to them. I suspect your Clubs Fix-It man will get old wind-up Percy runny great.

BTW...how is the Club House coming along and have you had any Fund raising Open House this year?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
yes, he needs a bit of tidying up. at least the mechanism seems very strong when he is in mid-air, so should run well on the track once he is sorted out.

the clubroom extension is almost finished and ready to be signed off, just a few things to be finished like spouting, kickboards around the deck and boards around the bottom of the building itself. we have a garage sale in a couple of weeks, and then an open day the following week. we are out there tuesday for club night, so will take my camera and get some updated photos.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 02:30 AM by sunhuntin.)
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Pictures would be nice Smile