a big mini idea... display

25 Replies, 23048 Views

There might be a possibility of having a different design with shelves with diaganol 'ports' which would allow more trains per shelf which could get you more trains per stand. But the downside is that you wouldn't necessarily be able to view the sides as well which is generally the best part of the model Big Grin
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super
i think having less per shelf/stand is fine if the sides can be seen. but then, i dont know what your new design would look like, i cant picture what you mean about diagonal ports. Smile

do you have an idea of pricing, nigel?
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2019, 08:45 PM by sunhuntin.)
Hi Sun,

What I mean by diagonal ports is similar to the stand for the starlink pilots, but with the face of the mini at a 45 degree angle to the front. So imagine them facing directly forwards, then turn them in the horizontal 45 degrees. This way you could get a few more per shelf, although for the same footprint you may get less shelfs per level because the width of the shelves may well change also. So it would be swings and roundabouts. Thing is you wouldn't get a clear view of the sides from head-on so I think it would be a backward step for a display setting Smile

I've not calculated the cost yet, it would depend on which filament I decide to use and amount. Postage will depend on size and weight as you know - hence one of the reasons I thought a flat pack approach would be better Smile

I'll let you know once I've figured out the filament and amount needed. Do you have a preferred colour as that can affect the price of the filament also...
Please use the PM system for price negotiations and not in the public Forums.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I usually do Super, if you notice I didn't put any price in there Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 04:45 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
the info on pricing for the units would be helpful for those also looking to either buy or have something similar made, super. can you explain why it needs to be in Pm only, please? thanks.

i appreciate your reasoning, nigel. not too fussed on color, so long as the minis will pop. not black or white, something pastel maybe?
i think i would prefer to stick with your original design. the one like your starlink would likely be sturdier, but harder to store when not in use. my minis live in the round playcases when not on display, and your shelves would be flatpacked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
How many round cases do you have? I bought a bunch of these things from the dollar store. They can hold anywhere from from 25-30 trains depending how neatly you want them to be in there. I find them pretty handy for the time being. I have to hide the main collection from the kids while the other couple hundred extras stay out to play with.

On topic, I find this display idea awesome and would love to see it in action. Whenever that happens, I hope picture get posted.
[Image: 5-A460777-9-EFA-448-E-A1-C5-B2-B0-F1036-EA8.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reivax's post:
  • Super
Hi Sun,

I do have a nice skyblue PlaPha filament, I may prototype a couple of components in that, that is the type of filament I used for my Starlink stand as it has the definition/temperature printing benefits of PLA, but at the same time is somewhat stronger and more flexible, so has the possibility to be more durable.

Anyway I'll get back to you when I've had a play around with the alternatives Smile

(02-25-2019, 12:47 AM)Reivax Wrote: Whenever that happens, I hope picture get posted.

I'll definitely post pictures as I prototype things and when the final version is complete. It's all about re-iterative design, you always start off with an idea, but depending upon how it performs you may need to tweak it as you go, maybe add some strengthening/bracing or whatever.

So you'll see the pretty with the ugly results as they go Smile

Cheers, Nigel
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 04:47 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
reivax, i have maybe 10 or 12 playcases, cant remember exactly. i bought another 5 when i was in aussie a few weeks ago, and one of those is half full at the moment. i double up all the slots except the two at the very bottom in the blue, as doubling doesnt work there.

the cases work fine as a storage option, except for the expense and the fact they cant be found in any local stores. the cases you have would be a good option, but i dont know any local stockists.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
I actually knocked up some little stackable trays with dividers to collect my Cars 3 Mini's in, I get about 32 per tray if I recall correctly, they stack and are pretty small as the spaces were sized perfectly for the largest car so they don't rattle around all that much (i.e. not enough to damage them).  They would I think also be about the right size for Thomas mini's, I'll have to try them out lol!

BTW - I won't be around for the next couple of days as I have to take a business trip to Edinburgh so I'm not ignoring people if I don't reply Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super