vintage tomy oddballs

5 Replies, 6044 Views

the first pic i found on ebay. judging by the traction tyre, it appears to be a re-stickerd "chug along" wagon. sold listings on ebay revealed another from the same set.

[Image: oddball.jpg]

and this one i found upstairs. its a livestock wagon with a drop down side, but i wasnt aware they came in this color. red, green, white, light blue and grey are standard. i can see no sign of this color in any of the old catalogues i have.
[Image: P1100332.jpg]

such a fascinating world this is!! i wonder what else my sort out will uncover. Smile
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
I am really enjoying your trips to the Attic to organize your massive collection Sun. Please keep sharing with us your re-discoveries. You must have the biggest collection of these original Tomyville trains and track, at least that I have ever seen.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(02-18-2019, 07:37 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: ... this one i found upstairs. its a livestock wagon with a drop down side, but i wasnt aware they came in this color. red, green, white, light blue and grey are standard. i can see no sign of this color in any of the old catalogues i have.
[Image: P1100332.jpg]

[Image: Your-Town.jpg]

(02-18-2019, 07:37 AM)sunhuntin Wrote: the first pic i found on ebay. judging by the traction tyre, it appears to be a re-stickerd "chug along" wagon. sold listings on ebay revealed another from the same set.

[Image: oddball.jpg]
The Tomyville 'Tunnel Sound Train Set' came with the ChugAlong themed wagon. The Tomyville 'Tunnel Train Set' came with the body in your picture, (but on a standard chassis? if so, it's been switched onto a Chugalong chassis?). More questions than answers!

[Image: 1327-1.jpg] [Image: tomy-tomyville-tunnel-train-set-box-2-2.jpg] [Image: tomy-tomyville-tunnel-train-set-box-3.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019, 10:52 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super
Here's another oddball:

[Image: IMG-9172.jpg]

As you can see I've got a red Tomy Train puffer that doesn't have the Lego-style studs on it. I have no idea where this one came from. The only pictures I can find are not conclusive, and confusingly the most likely candidate is the Tomyville Tunnel Sound Set (picture in a previous post), whose box features the words "Works With Popular Building Blocks".  I'm hoping sunhuntin has the answer to this one?
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Blueberry'S', sunhuntin, Super
wow, thanks chrisjo!! youve found one answer. thanks Big Grin also reminded me i need the mail sacks and a couple of newspaper bundles from that set.

with the chug alongs, they are held on their chassis with screws, so cant be simply swapped out like other parts can. they are quite complex inside. i think the one in your third photo has a traction tyre, and that they created too many chug along wagons and simply restickered them.

that engine is interesting. i am going to have to go through mine and see what i have. lol. i do know i have both cabooses [caboosi?] and the covered box cars both with and without studs, and did ponder it the other week when packing my rolling stock into a container.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
You must be right about the Tunnel/Sound Train Set Chris as there is also one on Ebay that also has no Lego type bumps on it. And I also find it curious that it states on the front of the box that it works with popular building blocks but has no bumps. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-TOMY-Tunnel...Sw-yJb8uWM

[Image: s-l16gg00.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]