3D Printed Thomas Mini Track System

40 Replies, 40223 Views

Ok, so continuining on today here's the bunch of parts I've printed since the last post.  These are primarily switches (or points if you are UK based), although there are a couple of straight pieces and two with a sort of 'dog-leg' curve in them.  These last two are quite interesting and I don't recall seeing similar pieces in PlaRail but I can see a good use for them Big Grin

[Image: IMG-20190417-192134211-HDR-2.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190417-192209132-HDR-2.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
An interesting update for you, earlier I noted that I was only printing at 0.2mm and on 'budget' filament, but even so I was surprised at the apparent rough finish and the 'stepping'.  So I decided to load one of the models into an editor to examine it a bit closer.  It turns out the 'stepping' and a lot of the other apparent 'roughness' is on purpose as that's how the models have been designed by the author, see below for an example;

[Image: 3-way-switch.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Looking good Nigels
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks Super, as well as test printing various pieces (there are nearly 60 different designs in the pack) I'm also doing so to confirm the weight of each piece. This way if anyone wants a small layout I can produce a fair price to print the set based on the particular parts they want Smile

So for example if they only wanted a basic oval it would come in at 'x', but if they wanted that plus say a cross-over, some extra straights, maybe the bridge it would be 'y'.

If I do offer this it's not to make a big profit or anything, but just something I do for my good friends on here Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
OK, well I've been continuing to play around with the various track pieces, but having tested quite few I've now decided to switch to printing ones with a view to creating a small layout.  I've also changed to a different filament (Creality branded) which is also quite coincidentally nearer to the normal 'Tomy Blue Plastic Tracks' Smile

Here's a couple of pics;

Some straights, 90 degree curves and some generic accessories (connnectors, 'on' ramps, buffers and column supports).
[Image: IMG-20190425-153952722.jpg]
A pair of 'points' that could be used to create a siding or a passing loop
[Image: IMG-20190425-222615194.jpg]
Finally here's picture of one of the original prints (cheap filament - Dark Blue) and one using the Creality filament - both were printed using the same settings... and illustrate how much difference filaments can make, both are standard PLA formulations, just one is better than the other...
[Image: IMG-20190425-154124240.jpg]
  • Super
Wow, those look great Nigels. I had no idea that there was that much difference in using different filaments at the same resolutions produced such different results. I can only imagine what the better filament with higher resolution would look like. Fantastic work Nigels.
I know, amazing isn't it, but you have to try different filaments regardless of cost, sometimes you find some real gems at a good price. You also don't necessarily always get what you pay for either, sometimes the more expensive ones are not as good as the cheaper ones...
  • Super
Ok, after a bunch of printing (between other projects), I've got together a suitable selection of rails to build a small layout which I will be doing in the next week or two, here's a picture this shows the following;
  • 4 x Radius 1 curves (makes a circle)
  • 8 x Radius 2 curves (makes a circle)
  • 5 x Shorter straights
  • 4 x Longer straights (can't remember the exact length and I'm not home to measure them at the moment lol)
  • 2 x Different 4 way crossovers
  • 1 x Straight Cross-over track
  • 1 each Left and Right Points - Could be used for sidings or a passing loop

[Image: IMG-20190510-082843685-2.jpg]

There are still plenty more types of track to print including dual lane straights/curves, other types of points including curved points and three way switches, as previously posted also bridges etc...  I will be printing more of all types as time goes by and expanding my track set to go with my mini collection.  I'll soon be offering these for sale as well if anyone is interested, watch the trading zone or PM me if interested.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Finno, Super
Wow, those look amazing Nigels. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
Thanks super, I'm pretty happy with them using this filament,nicely they are almost bpt coloured as well Big Grin
  • Super