Mystery Thomas

3 Replies, 5651 Views

Hi Guys 'n' Gals.

I recently purchased a 'job lot' off eBay containing primarily a bunch of mini's and take and plays, but when it arrived there was also a bunch of other random Thomas items, included was the one below.  This is as you can see quite large (the mini is for scale), but the surprising thing was it had an on/off switch and a battery compartment below.  As it also had traction tyres on the read most wheels the assumption was it was motorised as the battery compartment was AA size.  However when I unscrewed it and opened it up I found it contained 3 x LR44 (button cell) batteries.

It turns out when replaced and turned on the batteries were there to provide sound effects, these are only activated when it is pushed along - hence the traction tyres I guess.  You then get generally a 'puff. puff' sound, randomnly interspersed with speech and whistles.

Anyway the question is any ideas what this is?  I'm just curious and it will probably be destined to go to one of my grand nephews Smile

[Image: IMG-20190504-144851700-2.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190504-144908880-2.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, generic_truck_69420, Super
I thought it came with an Easter themed train (colourful trucks with eggs or something), but then noticed it doesn't have a coupling. I then assumed it was from that early 2010s range of talking push along engines (not My First Thomas), and I was correct:

[Image: 923_1.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, sunhuntin, Super
Nice bit of Detective work Da-lag
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks guys, although this one is headed for one of my grand-nephews, was just curious as to what it was though Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • generic_truck_69420, Super