Finno's Train Hopping Pix

46 Replies, 44818 Views

Browsing through my alarmingly eclectic photo collection on Google Photos it dawned on me that a.) I've ridden a few trains; and b.) I've got a few interesting pics and vids of metro's around Asia. Also a couple of high speed encounters.

So without thinking about it too much I decided to make some posts of the insides, outsides, stations and other metro related happy snaps. Where possible I will of course list the corresponding Plarail version.  Big Grin

First stop Hong Kong - my second favourite city!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Well when you get to Hong Kong International Airport you have a few different options to get to the main city. The local metro is called MTR and you can get an MTR Airport Express train that takes you right into Hong Kong. You can even see a map of this line on the Plarail Airport Express set.

I only have one photo of the inside - you can see the illuminated travel map to give you an idea of distance to destination. Also note the seats are nicer than a normal metro train and there are special luggage racks. Like all MTR you can travel using the awesome Octopus card.

[Image: MTR-airport-Express-deluxe-set.jpg]
[Image: mtr-airport-Express.jpg]

[Image: hkairport002.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Off The Rails
Once you have your octopus card and are on the standard Hong Kong MTR system you will find it one of the most pleasant and easy metros to ride in Asia. 

First here are the two MTR Plarail sets - a modern version and a 1998 version.

[Image: tomicatomy-plarail-set-tomica-and-plarai...rved-r.jpg]
[Image: MTRPassenger-Train1998-Deluxe-Set-NEW2.jpg]

and the trains...

[Image: mtr-001.png]

[Image: mtr-002.jpg]

Here's a typical station and a quick video of a train arriving at Causeway Bay (of course the inside and outside doors line up perfectly):

[Image: hkairport003.jpg]

Doors open:

[Image: hongkong006.jpg]

Doors closed:

[Image: hongkong005.jpg]

You can see how simple the MTR map is above the doorway.

I once rode in a Lego themed car.

[Image: hongkong001.jpg]

[Image: hongkong002.jpg]

Here's an inside shot during a quiet time:

[Image: hongkong007.jpg]

...and busy!

[Image: hongkong008.jpg]

Loooong escalators are often a feature in underground stations and it's good to know they practice hygienic cleaning (seriously everything is very clean).

[Image: hongkong003.jpg]

[Image: hongkong004.jpg]

One more thing to do in Hong Kong before we head on to the mainland so stay tuned!
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 11:51 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Off The Rails
I always find it interesting seeing how the inside of a train works...thanks Finno! And, for me, I never put my hand on any escalator's handrail. If I do need balance I will pull my hand up into my coat/shirt sleeve or use my sleeved elbow to steady myself.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Finno, MuddyPoppins
The Octopus card is like a debit card really. it can be used to pay for fares on public transit systems. It can be used to buy groceries as well.

I say London Tube has the longest subway escalators in the world.
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Finno, Super
Darn, the Airport Express has really nice interior! Too bad airplane interiors are that comfortable. If you’ve just flown in to Hong Kong and you then ride the MRT Airport Express, the train is likely to be the best part of the trip!
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super
Does anyone know why my embedded videos are broken? They work fine in the actual post editor but then when I post they just have the black screen and an error message.
Is it working now Finno?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Yes thank you. Was it an access thing?
Did you re-upload the video to your YouTube channel today?