Just Getting Started

8 Replies, 5891 Views

I've done most scales of trains including Lego but I'm really attracted to Plarail and would like to do a nice layout at my church this Christmas. I've been looking for used items on Craig's list and Facebook Market Place. For new items I've seen some on Amazon at a decent price and free shipping, but what other sites do you recommend for purchasing? Any other tips for a complete newbie? ~Robert
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
Hey Engineer Bob, welcome aboard!

I’ve had pretty good luck with Amazon in the past but that’s also where I’ve dealt with a couple of flaky vendors. For bulk purchases like track and common rolling stock, eBay is pretty hard to beat. It helps to look not only for Plarail but Trackmaster as well, since EARLY Thomas Trackmaster items are directly compatible with Plarail (not so much current Trackmaster 2, where the compatibility is kinda sketchy). I’ve also dealt with a number of Japanese retailers over the years with very positive results. The two best known are probably HobbyLink Japan and Hobby Search but the caveat there is that shipping can add up fast, especially on larger sets.

When you finally fall deeper down the rabbit hole, there’s Yahoo! Japan. Since it’s basically a Japanese only auction site, you need to join a reputable shopping service who will receive the items and ship them to you for a fee, of course. That can get quite expensive and is probably way past what you’re looking for as a complete newb. I’ve generally avoided that route so far, so other members here can chime in with better info.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno, Super
Hello Engineer Bob and welcome to our community. What country are you in?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Hi Engineer Bob!
I'm in Lancaster, PA in the US. I've done train layouts for the kids at church for a number of years now with as many as 22 trains running at the same time, from G to O to Lego. I have used a variety of scales. I'm selling most of it off. There are some incredible pieces but I'm just not into the upkeep and expense anymore, plus my basement can't hold much more! I also run Hot Wheels races for the kids. I've got about 600 feet of track. But in the midst of downsizing my trains i came across a picture of the Plarail J-24 Rail Yard. It's weird but I fell in love with that one piece. And you know how it is with Amazon, once you look at something it shows up everywhere on your screen. So I looked around some more and really fell in love with the Plarail brand. It's whimsical, but also a little exotic since it's Japanese trains. So I think I'm going to take the plunge. I'm also going to pull out the old wooden trains as well. I plan to make a modular board with them so there is an area where kids can play with the trains. Usually our display says "Please do not touch" since there are thousands of dollars worth of trains. This year I want something more interactive. I might also run some Hot Wheels track through the wooden train layout so kids can bring and race cars as well. So I'll have Plarail for a display and wooden trains for an interactive area. At least that's the plan for now...
[-] The following 3 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, MuddyPoppins, Super
Thats sounds like fun for the kids and what a great fellow you are to do this once a year at your church. The Plarail trains are pretty rugged and made to play with so the worry children grabbing your O and G trains is gone as with the worry of the Lego trains busting apart. Welcome aboard as you have come to the right place for most all your answers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
The one that got away....

To start my collection I was looking on Craig's list. There was one set for $85, room full of track and accessories, 17 engines. But I thought maybe I don't want to spend that much to start. By the time I realized what a good deal it was, it was gone. Oh the agony. That's okay, I'll just be building things up slower and longer. Lesson learned.
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
LOL...we all have had 'the ones that got away' lessons.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Engineer Bob, Finno
I know the feeling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you miss it altogether! Buying a cheap collection is a good way to start - particularly if you can get something to pick up locally and save on postage.

I like to build a test layout and then think about what pieces would look good added to it and then target those for my future wish list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super