Inspiration needed

8 Replies, 8613 Views

In need of inspiration. O consider myself an educated scientist but this stuff has me stumped. Would like to build a 3 loop simple small track with the kit in the pics. Please help!! Thanks in advance

[Image: 15-E04824-DD84-404-E-8-D5-A-CAA7-C21-DA0-AB.jpg]

[Image: 8-F07-E6-F4-6036-489-A-9-F27-1-F4-A11-DE06-A0.jpg]
When you say 3 loop simple small track do you mean 3 loops between each other (i.e. as you would with different radius loops on say HO/OO)?

If so I would suggest the easiest way would be to use the double tracks for the two inner loops, then the single curves with a straight halfway round the half loop to make the loop wider.

You could connect the various loops using the various points/switches along with some of the smaller straights, half curves etc...

If you want to add some height you could also use the curved risers to raise up the track coming off say a set of points or similar.
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Finno
I mean to have at least three trains running at once. My baby girl just sits there and watches them for hours. Great peace for me!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jonesejm's post:
  • Finno
The inventory is expanding I see.

Whatever you do, don't go specifically buying any more regular curve track, I've got about 400 of the d*** things going spare, I'll easily send you some of them! The same applies to curve ramps A and B.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Finno
Form 2 loops using knapford station. Your red circular track can form the third loop
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Finno
You have more than enough in that pile of pieces to make more loops especially with the risers and slopes. Just start with a basic loop and start another over and under that then intersect another all the while adjusting each accordingly. Take your time as I am sure your daughter will love watching you moving around too.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Hi, jonesejm. I've just built this layout for my son yesterday. I hope it gives you some ideas.

[Image: IMG-9899-2.jpg]

Some features of this layout:
- It has 3 independent loops without intersections so trains won't collide.
- By setting points, a train can be sent from the engine sheds or the yard to any loop.
- All loops can be traveled in reverse.
- Most tracks are not obstructed so kids can push trains around easily.
- It's kinda realistic for a steam railway with sheds, yard, water and coal station, etc.

Plus, I plan to change or disassemble to right-half of this layout frequently to open some play space, while keeping the left-half mostly intact.

I've been using a free mac software called RailModeller Express to design my layouts. It's quite useful for prototyping:

[Image: IMG-5367.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like hystudio's post:
  • Finno, Super
Thats a nice Layout Hyst
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks hyst that looks great. I really want to build a tiered layout with the underground stations. Do people usually keep these as separate loops or connect together?