brickcon-nz 2019

11 Replies, 11148 Views

hey gang,

it has been a crazy last 3 days with brickcon-nz being held in the next town over. we set up on thursday, had an activity and workshop day for the exhibitors yesterday and then today and tomorrow are show days.

the days have been long, my eyes have been on stalks for most of it and my feet are killing me. however, the last 3 days have been some of the most amazing of my life.

i have made new friends and furthur cemented existing ones, introduced old friends to new and watched those introductions begin to become friendships, seen some mind blowing LEGO builds and some amazing reactions from spectators.

as in the wanganui show in march, i am displaying disney/toy story and have added wall-e, steamboat willie and borrowed a couple of items from fellow exhibitors to enhance my display. my stack of engraved show bricks has gone from 1 to about 5 in the space of a day, something i am very proud of.

too tired to post up photos via the boards methods, so just follow this one to see everything:
https://sunstomyandfriends.weebly.com/br...-2019.html
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 3 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Finno, Super
Wow, what a fantastic show, your collection is getting so big and I know you have much more. Where do you have the space to store everything and how do you transport it all?

What are engraved show bricks? I like you character display stand. Love that Disney Castle and I think its the first time I have seen a Steamboat Willie, very cool.

So many other great displays at that big show. Notably for me...The Beatles Abby Road, The huge Minecraft World and the Carnival on the Pier. I'll bet you saw something different everyday in each display.

You are right Sun, you are a celebrity now in the Brickworld scene just like you are around here at BPT's and quite the honor being part of those shows. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Finno, sunhuntin
Amazing! The Abbey Road scene blew my mind.
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super
the abbey road build is a personal favourite of mine. very clever design with the forced perspective.

i have the castle that is on display, but that is borrowed from my friend Emz, who has the airplane set up next to mine. my castle is in a perspex case and tricky to get out so it was easier to borrow hers.

super, no way am i a celebrity in the brickworld! i dont want to be either, as the bar is set so high even a gold medal pole vaulter would have trouble getting to it. engraved show bricks are 1x8 bricks with your name, or an achievement, the show name and year. things like that. mine has around 5, while most of the others have 20+, with some having over 40.

heading back down for sunday, and not looking forward to getting back to reality tomorrow. will reply to your other questions tomorrow hopefully, super. Smile
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
Wow a lego expert as well!! Mind you I'm big into lego as well as all the train stuff, have been ever since a kid when the best you had was various colours of the regular bricks and none of the fancy custom ones you get these days Big Grin
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
When I were a lad we had red lego and white lego and thought ourselves lucky.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2019, 11:48 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
I was lucky Chris I had some yellow and blue ones as well lol!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
When I was a lad we had Tinker Toys, plain wooden ones not the fancy colored ones that came later Undecided
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
My son has the same Ghostbusters vehicle but it doesn't light up so I'm assuming that's a mod.
[-] The following 2 users Like Finno's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Yes. There are numerous unofficial lighting kits for the Ecto-1 set and many other sets. There are also the Fx Bricks devices, which can help install lights and sounds into LEGO models more easily and bring Power Functions parts to their full potential. Until those were made, some of these features were only possible with Mindstorms (or electric parts from non LEGO devices). Adult Fans of LEGO (AFOLs) are a very large community spanning several countries, conventions and websites.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2019, 11:36 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super