Bluebird Thomas Miniature Railway Set

13 Replies, 14320 Views

Hi Folks,

Following on from Sun's recent score of a Bluebird 'Pocket Thomas Set', I saw and managed to win the following set, almost 100% complete and even boxed (even if it is a little tired, its not bad for a 23 year old toy - it was released in 1996);

[Image: IMG-20190605-105854.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-111801.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110312.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110341.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110408.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110427.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110610.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110623.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-110818.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-111123.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-111130.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-111237.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20190605-111509.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Off The Rails, Super
It's amazing how many of those there are on Ebay at any one time, though many slightly incomplete. They must have made a lot of them. There are three (or four?) different ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Those are pretty neat and looks great as a take with toy to keep the kids occupied...unless there are lots of small parts to lose. Are any of these set motorized?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Very neat and complete little railway.
@ChrisJo - I wouldn't know how many there are out there, I only stumbled across this one when I was looking for Thomas Mini's lol. However at the moment I can only see a couple of others at way higher prices I paid and less complete. Although I do need to get another to complete this one as there are a few small pieces missing. But at least I got a box Smile

@Super - There are as far as I can gather 4 different sets that were made. This set, a 'magnetised' set which is very similar except at the front it has a little window with a stick and the fat controller on it which has a magnet on the other end. Using this you can theoretically move the trains around the tracks etc... The other two sets were the micro fold up pocket sets like the one that Sun found recently.

@Bob - Yes, I think it's great as a display/talking piece, although you'd not want to give it to a kid as it has too many very small pieces. Even the loco's are only just over 1 inch long lol!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
great find, nigel! what parts are missing? awesome that you got the box with yours, too.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Super
Very nice! I have James's set!
(06-05-2019, 10:57 PM)Nigels Wrote: @ChrisJo - I wouldn't know how many there are out there, I only stumbled across this one when I was looking for Thomas Mini's lol.  However at the moment I can only see a couple of others at way higher prices I paid and less complete.  Although I do need to get another to complete this one as there are a few small pieces missing.  But at least I got a box Smile
Great buy anyway, do either the box or the instructions  (if any) give a full parts list? That would be very useful.

I've had a 'Bluebird Thomas' search running on ebay since about November last year, so I've seen a few of them come and go, but haven't yet taken the plunge.  I do want one though. As you say, we're now in the usual summer doldrums where very little of interest is being listed from one day to the next, and what there is tends to be optimistically described and priced. (One regular seller is listing an entirely standard Annie & Clarabel as 'RARE'!).
(06-06-2019, 09:03 AM)chrisjo Wrote: (One regular seller is listing an entirely standard Annie & Clarabel as 'RARE'!).

[Image: hearty-laugh.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I know what you mean Chris, some of the other sets are in a right state. Unfortunately there were no instructions, but (as asked Sun) the missing parts are;

The brown buffers for the track ends, if I can find one I may be able to print the rest. Sir topham who should be standing on the station platform and lastly the hook and rope for the large crane.