Backdating Bachmann's Thomas the Tank Engine

94 Replies, 80946 Views

If I do decide to buy more of the characters, they would get similar modifications. Plus, this will look better next to real engines this way as well.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I figured I should give an update on the current state of the project. It hasn't progressed much further due to the weather getting too cold for painting after I put the primer on. However, I am contemplating replacing the closed cab with either a semi-open one ( to keep the eye mechanism) or a completely open one (eye mechanism removed, with full cab detail in the available area. I did test painting the old cab blue, but found the color to be too dark (the original Bachmann color is too light (also, looking at replica or modified HO Thomas's, everyone who does those chooses a slightly darker color as well, so it's not just me)). I don't know how much I'll be able to do over the next few months, but I will try to get it finished before next June.
In the meantime, I recommend looking at Thomas Lab's (on YouTube) custom Thomas models, because he did an awesome job of modifying the Bachmann models and he even completely scratchbuilt express coaches.
-TrainMan2001
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super
[Image: 20200104-192826.jpg]
Just when things seemed to slow down, they turned a little more drastic!

[Image: 20200104-192853.jpg]

[Image: 20200104-193310.jpg]
I have found something that eliminates the need for the eye mechanism, which will hopefully be here by the end of the month. I removed the unnecessary gears and cut out that part of the gearbox, which allowed me to put the remaining part of the gearbox in backwards, freeing up the space for an open cab. I have taken measurements of the original TV model's cab using the production references, and hope to begin building an open cab soon.
  • Super
Quite the custom going on there T-Man. Keep us updated.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I now present to you, interchangeable faces... just, not painted yet.
[Image: 20200110-160645.jpg]
These were made by Sudrian Junction on ShapeWays, along with two other packs, which I didn't buy. The two piece thing on the left is the eye plate, which means I should be able to pose the eyes in any way I want. I am pretty excited about this, especially since they all represent faces from the 1st Series, something you could see better once they are painted. I have an idea on how to easily attach the faces to the smokebox, which hopefully will work.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super, WaltWiz1901
Those look nice T-Man

How does the original attach to the smoke box? Can't the Shapeways creator offer these in white plastic to skip the painting and to prevent possible chipping later?
The original face has a plastic ring with tabs behind the face. The white plastic on ShapeWays isn't as good of quality as these, and the faces in the original show were more of a gray color, so I'd have to repaint them anyway. I'm also pretty sure that there are ways to prevent chipping during the painting process, like using Matt Varnish after.
  • Super
Looking forward to seeing the finished product T-Man
I am back with a bit more progress. I removed the moulded coal from the bunker and shortened the front of the smokebox saddle. Then I put some plasticard over each spot. The bunker will eventually be filled with more realistic coal.
[Image: 20200118-165639.jpg]

[Image: 20200118-165655.jpg]

[Image: 20200120-170053.jpg]
I also made the scale cab footsteps. I need to file them a little bit, but they are mostly done. The original is on the right and the new one is on the left. The markings by them are for a quarter inch (or several eighth inches).

[Image: 20200121-204141.jpg]
Here's one more photo showing the shortened smokebox:

[Image: 20200121-204826.jpg]
  • Super
Just read up on the thread, incredible stuff T-Man! I've been trying to create custom faces for my tomy trains recently, very inspiring to see your work!
[-] The following 2 users Like gmeehanfilms's post:
  • Super, TrainMan2001