Backdating Bachmann's Thomas the Tank Engine

94 Replies, 80898 Views

Opening water filler caps?! Even the tiniest changes in detail make this so far from the stock model used for it. It's barely recognizable as being Bachmann, as if it were scratch built. Radical improvements.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super, TrainMan2001
Time for an update, though this one will be a bit different. I realized that any attempts to keep the original motor set up would make the model at least a little bit unsatisfactory in my eyes, mainly because I want to get it (excepting my ideas for additional detail) as close to the television series model as I can. The cab is also proving at least somewhat troublesome in that regard as well. Although there's certainly room for a fully open cab, the fineness of the cab sides would probably leave it somewhat flimsy working with plasticard. Conversely, any attempt to remotor the model is outside of my skill range and budget. There is also the factor of time. Come June, I will be graduating from high school and I will be moving to the next stage of my life, which means I won't really be able to do modelling for at least two years. To do everything I'd want to with this project would probably leave it unfinished for a long time.

However, this does not mean that I am abandoning the project. Since I believe I can finish the running plate in the time I have left, I am planning on combining the running plate, wheels, and faces with my second Thomas model so that I can at least finish off with a more acceptable model. I will push back the other modifications to the original Thomas until I can figure out a way to do them in the way I want to. I'll still update this thread with the mods I'll be carrying out to the new Thomas (which is basically just a repeat of the first half of the first page). At least this way I'll be able to apply what I've learned the first time.
-TM2001
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TrainMan2001's post:
  • Super
Thanks for the update on the engine and whats will soon happen in your life. Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I'm guessing that changing minds probably happens a lot when you have a project that becomes considerably larger than originally intended, but I have finally settled. There is a guy on YouTube who builds his own 16mm scale Skarloey Railway models named Sudrian Railway Modeler. Something he does is build a base-model with the proportions of the original TV model's, but adds some details from the RWS and the real Talyllyn locomotives. I have decided that I'll follow a (somewhat) similar pattern with my Thomas model.

After frustrations on figuring out how I could possibly get a motor to fit through the 10mm gap that would be in Thomas' smokebox saddle, I remembered that most British outline small tank engines usually have the underside of the boiler separate so the motor can rest on that. Considering that would be extremely helpful for my project, I am going to do the same thing (it's a good thing Thomas has such large splashers). I also found a Speaker that would be able to fit inside Thomas' side tank if I go along the DCC Sound route. I plan on fitting the decoder in the bunker (I'm assuming that there will eventually be a custom sound decoder that will fit in there if there isn't one already, considering the technology is getting small enough for sound in Bachmann's 009 Baldwin).
[Image: 20200511-170501.jpg]
I also think I figured out a way to emulate opening water-filler caps, since I don't think I could do real hinges that small. I hope the blueprint makes some sense as to how that would work.
[Image: 20200511-170519.jpg]
Lastly, I have begun painting the faces, too! They're not quite so creepy, now. Work still needs to be done on the eyes, however.
[Image: 20200425-195902.jpg]
  • Super
Nice work T-Man, I like those faces.
Thanks!
  • Super
Over the past few days, I have been working on the eyes and faces. I sanded the eyes (using a drill) down to 6mm to fit the eye plates. Unfortunately, I lost one of the eye plates while I was working on the eyes outside, and I had to make a new one from Milliput. I just primed the eyes, so I'm hoping they still fit once the painting is done.

[Image: 20200515-205747.jpg]

[Image: 20200515-215009.jpg]

I also finished painting one of the faces. I did two coats of Vallejo Sky Grey, then used a very thin drawing pen for the eyebrows. The mouth could have been done better, but I'm not planning on using that particular one a lot, so it should be fine.
[Image: 20200521-164847.jpg]
  • DalaGStanator
Looking good T-Man Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • TrainMan2001
I got a bit more done today! I cut away the back of the running plate so that I can graft in a smaller bufferbeam (like the Railway Series/CGI series). I also cut out some new cab sides from 0.75mm thick plasticard, which seems to be a better thickness to use. I do need to file it to shape, though. I also cut off the remainder of the original Bachmann cab because it was really thick and I didn't really like it. I also added some steps to the tank front because I figured out that that's a common feature on tank engines.

[Image: 20200619-143358.jpg]

[Image: 20200619-143414.jpg]

[Image: 20200619-151815.jpg]

[Image: 20200619-160333.jpg]

[Image: 20200619-160357.jpg]

I also did a little bit of work on changing the LMS CCT van, since I messed up one of the sides when I was trying to remove the flash from it. Luckily I was able to shorten it, so I'm going to turn it into a Pre-Grouping style (early 1900s) parcels van. The backstory for it will be that it came from one of the early railways on Sodor, since it was still in fairly good condition.

[Image: 20200619-134304.jpg]

The underframe from the kit looks to be the perfect length to do a Works-Unit coach, so I am also planning to scratchbuild that (eventually).
-TrainMan2001
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
The details are looking great T-Man Smile