Orange (or yellow?) Bertie?

24 Replies, 16960 Views

I have 2 bertie that has 2 different shades for red. I don't know if it is a factory error or faded due to the sun
(07-04-2019, 07:07 PM)Super Wrote: Is there any reference to a relative of sorts to Bertie in any of the shows episodes?

Were you the winner of this Lot Confuse?
@Super, yes, the seller accepted my best offer. I really only bought it for the strange looking bertie. I already have the other vehicles, so I figured I'd send an offer and see what happened. I really shouldn't be spending money on what will essentially be duplicates, but I couldn't resist the odd bertie. As it turned out, the seller ended up throwing a few other track pieces in that they forgot to take photos of (a tunnel with road vehicle overpass and a drawbridge crossing. 

I did send the seller an message asking where they bought the orange bertie and whether they had any info on it. They got back to me a little while ago and just said they bought most of their collection in the UK. I'm not sure they had any idea the Bertie variant was peculiar at all. 

Rest assured, once I get the bertie in hand, I'll take some photos and report back on what it looks like and whether there's any tell tale markings inside or out.
Good eye C&D, glad someone here got it that could appreciate the possibility of what they got. Anxious to see the pictures and hear what you discover.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(07-04-2019, 07:07 PM)Super Wrote: Is there any reference to a relative of sorts to Bertie in any of the shows episodes?

The closest thing was Algy from the annuals (before his redesign; See "I" in the infobox), but he was cream with red stripes and had a slanted front like the ERTL Bertie.
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super
Thank you lag for the info.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Very very cool..
You'll know if it's faded or actually orange plastic when you open it up.
If it's fading the inside of the shell will be red.
I am hoping that the shade of the inside matches the outside!Smile
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super
I hope so too Muddy.

Though, after looking at the photos again, I'm wondering if the Bertie variant isn't actually yellow (compare the yellow in red bulgy to the bertie variant and think it's the same color). And based on the info from DalaGStanator, I also wondering if the Bertie variant may be version of the first Algy? Based on the link Algy did have a slanted front and a red stripe, but the first Algy was yellow. And maybe Tomy didn't feel like making a new mold, so they just made a yellow version of Bertie to stand in for Algy? Meh, it's probably too far fetched. In any event, I'm looking forward to getting this vehicle in hand so I can open it up.
[-] The following 2 users Like confusedanddelayed's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Unlike characters from The Railway Series and the TV series, those who only appeared in annuals and magazine stories have never been merchandised (presumably since they were too obscure and wouldn't have sold well).

Since the wheels are still the correct colour, so is the inside of the shell.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2019, 11:10 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
The buses arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some concrete info to report back with, but I'm not sure the wheel color is determinative. I may be mistaken, but don't Bertie, Red Bulgy, Green Bulgy, Lor 1 and Elizabeth all have the same red wheels? I agree that it's probably far fetched to think the Bertie variant is a novel Algy bus, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the orange/yellow (whatever) color shell is legit, and maybe just some kind of factory error.

But, either way, I'll have in hand tomorrow. I'm excited to see if I just bought myself another bertie or maybe some kind bizarre variant. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes confusedanddelayed's post:
  • Super
Oh well, this was all much ado about nothing. Sad

Turns out the Bertie "variant" was just a custom paint job. It's got really nice detailing, but it was obvious once you put your eyes on it. It's still pretty cool, and the other vehicles (including Lor 1) are in very nice shape, and I now have a lot of road track plus tunnels with overpasses and other features. And the price was really quite reasonable. Smile
Sorry for the false alarm. I'll try to upload some photos of the custom bertie tonight, just as an FYI.
[-] The following 3 users Like confusedanddelayed's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Super