RunCam Car

8 Replies, 8794 Views

Apologies Clarabel - but you were dispensable.

[Image: runcam.jpg]

Actually I was going to try and screw the mounting bracket on to the car but the velcro tie works completely fine.

So I was wondering what everyone else does for on-the-rails filming?
Very Nice Fin, how does a video turn out with this rig? What Camera are you using?

Its a coincidence that in Samuel Jaros's most recent YouTube video he shows his "Mobius Express" that shows his onboard version. You can see it right at the beginning. 

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Muddy Poppins actually did almost the same thing here before, except his was motorized using Rusty's chassis.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1536]

Obviously, yours is much more compact since there's no drive unit in the way. The only problem is it might have to be pushed by something with a front coupling.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2019, 05:36 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • Finno, MuddyPoppins
In case anybody doesn't want to scrap any of their rolling stock a flatbed car is suffice.    as for the power, get one of the motorized tenders (I usually uses Emily or Murdorch) and switch the coupling around so that it can be used to push the flat bed around.  Unfortunately, they are locked away deep in the storage locker in the moment, I cannot snap a photo of what I mean at the moment.

as for the camera, I used my car's dash cam.  Sadly it is too wide to fit in some tunnels.  I cannot use it often as my wife yelled at me every time I yanked it off the car lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Finno
We do understand what you mean (replace a standard eye coupling with one that has the walls [?] on the sides)
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 07:26 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Finno
(07-07-2019, 04:53 PM)Super Wrote: Very Nice Fin, how does a video turn out with this rig? What Camera are you using?

This is a RunCam 2 which is a few years old now. They were designed specifically for RC and a lot of racing drone folks use them because they have a high frame rate (60fps at 1080p) which is good for fast movement.

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam2/

You can also run it at a higher res of 1440p (2k) but the frame rate drops to 30fps.

If you want to see what the video looks like with me crashing my drone you can watch this video I made with RunCam 2. Hope you don't get vertigo!!!

If you just want to see me crash go to the end...  Big Grin

I will make a train video and post it later.

(07-07-2019, 04:53 PM)Super Wrote: Its a coincidence that in Samuel Jaros's most recent YouTube video he shows his "Mobius Express" that shows his onboard version. You can see it right at the beginning.

That's an awesome setup. He put the camera where the battery compartment is and put the battery in a troublesome truck. Much better than what I was doing - pushing a carriage from behind. I will absolutely make this setup. Also gives you the option to overpower your engine with additional battery power.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
oops...ouch! Smile

That video was over 2 and a half years ago, do they have new versions of this camera? Is that Austrailian Football Field egg shaped or is that the wide angle fish eye view? What make of drone is that?

For our purposes of recording, the proof in the pudding will be an onboard cab view from a train in a layout as things are close to the moving camera where the focus and clarity will be put to the test. Anxious for your video in your layout.
(07-11-2019, 01:41 PM)Super Wrote: do they have new versions of this camera? 

Yes, they have a RunCam 5 which is smaller and better (and still only $99 bucks) but I can't really justify getting one as my RunCam 2 still works pretty well (even after crashing it several times)!

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-5/

(07-11-2019, 01:41 PM)Super Wrote: Is that Austrailian Football Field egg shaped or is that the wide angle fish eye view? 

Yes it's Australian Rules Football played on an oval shaped field.

(07-11-2019, 01:41 PM)Super Wrote: What make of drone is that?

It's an Eachine Racer 250 that comes in a kit. It's a highly manoeuvrable racing drone. Unlike the photography drones it takes a lot of flying just to keep it upright in the air. It's super sensitive but hence quite fast and nimble. Although I think it's probably superseded now.

https://www.mydronelab.com/reviews/eachi...r-250.html

(07-11-2019, 01:41 PM)Super Wrote: For our purposes of recording, the proof in the pudding will be an onboard cab view from a train in a layout as things are close to the moving camera where the focus and clarity will be put to the test. Anxious for your video in your layout.

Will do one this weekend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
Holy Cow...that RunCam 5 has 1080P@120fps? I don't think I have heard of that fps before. Would like to see the differnce between that and the 1080P@60fps. I am not camera tech savvy but wouldn't this make recording motion a lot more sharper? Does your version have that resolution?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno