LEGO Hidden Side Sets

16 Replies, 13513 Views

I've still got a bunch of the 9volt Lego trains in the basement. They were a lot of fun. Putting them up for auction in the fall. Need room for this blue track you guys have talked me into!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • Super
[Image: laughing-dog-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Engineer Bob
Plarail is much cheaper and take up less space he he
[-] The following 2 users Like leylandvictory2's post:
  • Engineer Bob, Super
(07-16-2019, 08:45 PM)Super Wrote: Is it hard putting motors in Lego trains? do you have to rework and get special blocks for the inside and wheels?

These days you can get a bogey with a motor/wheels in it, this connects to a power box and an IR receiver.  These usually fit fairly easy, in fact some manuals for example the Christmas train actually tells you in the manual how to modify the build to fit them.

Mind you this year they've brought out a new system that replaces this older IR controlled version, I'm not quite sure how this works but it may be Bluetooth for the controller...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Super, Ucwepn
there are knockoff lego train version available.  So I guess one can use knockoff battery trucks to power the train.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 06:55 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
(07-17-2019, 10:02 PM)Nigels Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 08:45 PM)Super Wrote: Is it hard putting motors in Lego trains? do you have to rework and get special blocks for the inside and wheels?

These days you can get a bogey with a motor/wheels in it, this connects to a power box and an IR receiver.  These usually fit fairly easy, in fact some manuals for example the Christmas train actually tells you in the manual how to modify the build to fit them.

Mind you this year they've brought out a new system that replaces this older IR controlled version, I'm not quite sure how this works but it may be Bluetooth for the controller...

Hi yes the new stuff is indeed bluetooth, a similar battery box as before and retaining the same size but built in receiver and different wires, I have an older type knockoff battery box from ali express and it works fine too btw Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ucwepn's post:
  • Super
Thanks Ucwepn, nice to know I had interpreted the new system right (I've not got any of it yet lol).

However I've now received and built the train and I think based on what you get it would be quite difficult to motorise this model.

It does use the same track - in fact you get a few sections of standard straight Lego plastic track. However the bogies are not the usual type having instead a simplified bogie design and 'clip-in' wheels instead of the usual wheel/axle arrangement. It also does not use the normal magnetic connectors, instead there is a much more simplified ball and socket type arrangement apart from the rear of the last car which has a standard magnetic connector.

You'd also need to strip stuff out of the loco (for example the hidden animated ghoulish wings) in order to find room for the battery box and receiver modules. I mean it would be possible, but it would not be for a Lego novice. It might be better to add another already built standard type motorised locomotive via the rear magnetic connector and push/pull it round the track...

Instead this is intended to be a static model that you use the AR functionality in the app with to get the play value out of it. I'm not sure how long a life this would have, but it is something different I guess.
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super