Mini Review: Plarail 60th Anniversary Best Selection Train

7 Replies, 5833 Views

My Thoughts on Plarail's 60th Anniversary Best Selection Train (not the set)

This 60th Anniversary Best Selection Train is very well built as we expect from Plarail. Solid and no stickers. Uses the newer, 2 speed chassis with quiet motor. I like how they detailed the springs and trucks on the sides of each unit without having fake wheels looks great. The details work cleanly with the actual gray wheels. I am also impressed with the 2 heavy weights over the two axles in the trailing coach. I assume that they did this to stabilize the rear when pulling other cars. Speaking of the rear coach pulling additional cars, the rotating Hook is not specially made, its a regular hook that simply sits in a round disk that can be spun. The working Pantographs are nicely detailed and look very neat when raised. The inside Cab control details are cool including the engineer.

Now for the issues (well really not issues, just what I would have liked):
Biggest question that came for this was whether the Pantographs would fit under risers or elevated rails...they don't. In fact they will most likely derail the train or just stop it in its track. I had assumed that it would be too high but what I was hoping for was that it would be made in such a way that if it came in contact with something it would just slide down so the train could easily pass. I think they did this with the side wings of the Buzz Lightyear Toy Story train. In fact, the way the detail is on the pantograph actually makes it 'hook' onto any obstruction preventing it from sliding down. This is even more pronounced in the trailing Pantograph since it enters obstructions backwards and doesn't fold down as far. So even if the lead Pantograph makes it through the rear one will definitely hook on.  The Pantograph does clear crossing a regular rail that is elevated but the clearance is very close so it may still catch if the Layout in on carpet. It will not clear crossing under an Elevated Rail track however. They could have easily fixed the Pantographs at the expense of a little detail by making them a bit more smooth so it could slide down when going under an obstruction.

The cute passenger cards in the middle and rear coaches are cute but why couldn't they have also put them in the engines windows? It looks out of place. It could have easily been done. In fact I have been working on copying the rears insert to place in the engine but I am opting to remove them all in favor of blacked out windows. Luckily the insert cards are easily removed and could be saved and re-inserted at any time.

I knew that the PlaKid driver was not going to be a real figure but I was hoping that at least he was just glued in place or held on with a screw from the back but he is molded in with all the interior details and painted. But he still looks OK so I am not that disappointed. The clear headlight lenses are also made in such a way that it would easily allow for a lighting modification.

The rotating rear hook is imaginative but I was hoping that somehow it would fold under or slide away when not in use but its not. I didn't think it would but one can hope.

All in all, these issues were expected and this train is still an awesome one. My question now is...will it become a collectors item? Meaning will this be the only set its released in and will this set be a Limited Edition and production stopping at some point. If there are plans to release this as a regular 3 piece train then that would end any idea that it would eventually be sought after later on.

What do you think?

[Image: 003.jpg] [Image: 006.jpg] [Image: 007.jpg] [Image: 010.jpg]

[Image: 014.jpg] [Image: 018.jpg] [Image: 020.jpg] [Image: 023.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Off The Rails, Ucwepn
It looks amazing
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • Super
Nice looking train Super, even got pantographs that stick up!!
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
Here the train is with a couple of quick modifications.

First: Black couplings added. I like how they don't stand out and matches the black details on the sides of the chassis'. It also seems to hide the rear hook better when not in use. I was debating whether to just remove a hook here but may leave it this way because its not so noticeable. I have toyed with the idea of shortening the couplers to narrow the distance a bit between the cars.

Second: Blacked out the windows in the middle and rear cars. This was easily done as the inserts are removable and reversible so I was able to keep the original passengers and they can be flipped if one so chooses at any time.

I like these new modifications and to my eye really adds to the beauty of this train. What do you think?

The next mod would be to add headlights and maybe a soft light in the cab but there are many more customs ahead of this one.

[Image: 030.jpg] [Image: 031.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno
The blacked-out windows are a great improvement - to me it looks a lot nicer now.

Has there been any discussion on here of mods involving Plarail trains with added pantographs and powered through live overhead lines rather than batteries? See Youtube. Any discussion in new thread though please!
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
There have been a few videos that we talked about but I only think the discussion was in those Threads. I don't recall a specific Thread dedicated to those wizards that could create them. There are some very smart, imaginative builders out there for sure.

https://blueplastictracks.com/showthread...antographs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • chrisjo
The blacked out windows look much better IMO and the black couplings are an improvement too.

Shame about the pantographs not fitting under bridges or girders.

(07-18-2019, 09:13 AM)Super Wrote: They could have easily fixed the Pantographs at the expense of a little detail by making them a bit more smooth so it could slide down when going under an obstruction.

Actually it would be cool if they were spring loaded so the pop back up again after being pushed down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
That would be fantastic Finno