Are we a mixed media group?

12 Replies, 9419 Views

I assume the answer is yes. Back in my Lego days the whole layout was only Lego bricks, not even knock-off brands. There were many purists involved. But from the layouts I've seen on here we seem to use various other elements that fit the theme. I like that, especially since I don't have a lot yet and have a lot of holes to fill in the layout. (even a small layout like mine) I may even try to add some of my Hot wheels items since I have so much invested in them. I see this as an art form (and wallet drainer) and each artist builds his layout to his tastes and what looks appealing. It's fun to create a balance between interesting track design and interesting scenery. Am I being too philosophic, or am I just justifying my spending habits and layout design? 
Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
I am one of those mixed media people of which you speak. For me, mixing it up frees me up to be one of a kind and I love that. Plarail really doesn't have a scale, somewhere between HO and O so mixing it up is easy. I also have many Hotwheel, Tomica, Matchbox vehicles around the Layout but not the track like you have Bob. Those would be neat going up, over and around the Tomy tracks and trains.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • mod thana, MuddyPoppins
Yep! I’m certainly no purist gatekeeper and I tend to chafe in hobbies or online communities where that sort of behavior exists. That’s not a problem here at BPT.

My own tendency is to use anything from HO scale buildings and vehicles, to Christmas Village decorations, to bits and pieces of other toy lines. But I love seeing what other people come up with, if it’s buildings constructed from Lego bricks, cardboard scenery or even cities assembled from “official” Tomica/Plarail sets.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Yes, same here. I love to see the creativity and get inspired for my own layout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • Super
I'm no purist either, which you would guess if you saw my styrofoam city buildings. I do sometimes like to try and have a theme to the layout such as country or city setting, Japanese etc.

One of the things I like about Tomy is you can easily tear it down and completely redesign your world. That's a little bit harder to do with more traditional HO scale sets and for me I enjoy the building process.

(08-28-2019, 02:10 AM)Super Wrote: Plarail really doesn't have a scale, somewhere between HO and O so mixing it up is easy.

I also like that Plarail is not realistic or locked to a scale. It gives you more latitude in using various scenery parts from other toy sets. I was recently trying to figure out the best scale to use when I was looking for some generic buildings online. I was leaning towards S scale which is 1:64. I based this on the Tomica cars which aren't always uniform but I figured this was close. What do you folks think?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
Yes, I think S scale would be a happy medium although I too like the idea of being able to bend the 'scale' rules a little as has already been said. I like things to 'fit', but that doesn't always mean size.
[-] The following 2 users Like Engineer Bob's post:
  • Finno, Super
I have purchased several 'Plasticville' items which I believe is considered 'S'' scale and some fit very nicely in a Layout whereas others are a bit too big. As far as PlaKids are concerned, Plasticville is a perfect fit but PlaKids are to scale with Plarail buildings but not the trains. [Image: facing-problems-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
Good to know. I was at a train store the other day and they had a plasticville church that looked just the right size. I may pick up a few buildings when I see them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • Super
Just keep in mind that in my opinion some the Plasticville buildings are a tab bit big for Plarail Trains but look great with the PlaKids. I should mention that Plasticville has both the 'S' size and HO size. The HO on the small size as usual and look ok with Plarail Trains but not with Plarail buildings or PlaKids. I do like that Plasticville buildings snap together and don't really need glue which is great for storage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Finno
I usually go mixed media, using lego, hot wheels, mcdonalds and other similar sized toys that tie in. I actually do that so often that i consider only using tomy a challenge.
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like sunhuntin's post:
  • Finno, Super