» Views: 123

Latest Purchases
My latest Purchase. 

These came from Japan arrived today.

[Image: 20190909-151013.jpg]

KTX and top monorail supports from HK

[Image: 20190906-164959.jpg]

[Image: 20190909-181021.jpg]

TOMY Mavis and some diamonds connector track which i brought from AOF.

[Image: 20190909-181046.jpg]

Got some post from UK and Japan coming soon. Will post once i get it.
[-] The following 5 users Like drew5195's post:
  • AOF04, Off The Rails, Super, chrisjo, Muddy Poppins
Thats a very good haul Drew. Isn't it grand getting big packages of stuff?

What are diamond connector track?

(09-09-2019, 06:05 PM)drew5195 Wrote: some diamonds connector track 
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • drew5195
The tracks that connect to the blue Tomy turntable.

[Image: image.png]
Oh, so thats what they call those. Still can't figure out why they made the turntable with 2 different types of connectors, any ideas?. Thanks Dr Chris.
Nice haul!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • drew5195
Are the diamond tracks shorter than the standard tomy tracks?
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
(09-10-2019, 10:59 AM)leylandvictory2 Wrote: Are the diamond tracks shorter than the standard tomy tracks?

It bit smaller but not much

[Image: 20190910-161209-2.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like drew5195's post:
  • Super, chrisjo
(09-09-2019, 11:25 PM)chrisjo Wrote: The tracks that connect to the blue Tomy turntable.

I remember being upset with those track parts because it was impossible to use them for anything else. I never understood that design choice, but it seems as if TOMY did it to discourage children from trying to use them as regular straights because of the sealed ends.
Pronunciation: Da-lag-stanator
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
I thought the same Da-lag but imo the need for the blunt end straights isn't necessary since doesn't the turntable come with these end of track bumpers anyway which can fit on a regular straight rail? Plus its a wonder since there are 6 diamond connectors and 4 regular spots so only the 90 degree cross can continue through. But alas, its still a better turntable than the original small yellow and red ones that only fit an engine with no tender and the sheds are pretty neat too.

[Image: DSCN3506.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I always figured they changed the connectors because there would be no way (or at least no way in a reasonable number of track sections) to arrive back at those specific off angles of the turntable. The basic design is a holdover from much earlier in Plarail, before more of the dimensions were standardised, probably the same era as the very thin parallel switches and 1/6 a normal straight gender changers. I just saw one in red like the smaller half straight turntables with all normal connectors on jauce yesterday, I'll try to find a picture. It had even more connectors, three normal in the space of the two diamond between the 90 degree offset ones on the Thomas turntable.

I haven't ever tried it, but basically it would be hard to build something that actually met up with the diamond connector spaces due to available track pieces. The normal ones are the ones 90 degrees off from one another, and fit into normal plarail dimensions. My guess is someone pulled out the old turntable design, realised most of the track connectors couldn't even be built to, and decided to follow the modern track standards and make it impossible to try.

[Image: Screenshot-20190910-121515-01.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • Super, chrisjo
Thanks Duck

Boy the circumference of the 12 track turntable must be much bigger than the newer blue one. Thats a good picture.
Had another look around, here's an auction for a sealed one. Looks like it was sold with some dogbones to help you connect to it's all female connectors.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/h404076889

I can't tell if it's bigger than the Thomas one, it doesn't seem like it's long enough to be a straight and a half... the designs to the side of the track on the table look like they're the same as the Thomas one, including the stop/go switch, although the overhead support and engine stoppers are a different design. The spaces between track connections is definitely less than the later one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckGWR's post:
  • Super
Ah, thats where I recognize this as...it has the built in place for a Gantry in the center. Thanks for the picture Duck. Which brings up the question that in real life can any electric train with no stored batteries or hybrid Diesel even manage a turntable unless it had gantry's at both ends with a power wire between them?

With this one you can't have a 90 degree cross as the half count is even (6) where I think you need a half count as odd (5) like the blue one. And I think I could run track in any of those angles using 1/6, 1/4 track adapters along with some long radius curves. In fact its what I enjoy the most about creating and designing a layout where you have to work at connecting. Granted this is harder to do in a small layout but given a bit more room and a little thinking along with ample track one could connect any of those.
Few more came in today.
Hanging Monorail. Was excited for it to come

[Image: 20190911-162200.jpg]   [Image: 20190911-163841.jpg]

Got bumblebee James, Edward, Roise, Duncan and couple of carriages. All TOMY. I do have plarail Edward but not tomy one. 

[Image: 20190911-181211.jpg]

28 extra of supports. Have too many of it. I lost my count and road turntable. It doesnt turn as it jammed then took apart to see 2 of little white small gears cracked. Need replace. Does anyone know where to get it?

[Image: 20190911-162154.jpg]   [Image: 20190911-181456.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like drew5195's post:
  • Super, AOF04
Were you amazed at how many gears there actually are when you opened up the road turntable Drew? I have also replace gears and lubricated a couple of those turntables recently. I can't remember off hand but how many teeth does one of those gears have? If I remember correctly, all the gears inside are the same.