Titipo Trains (I kid you not) from Korea?!?

20 Replies, 23326 Views

Sounds like a conversion connector is in order Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
It just arrived.  And the train is compatible with Plarail tracks, and it runs great!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnaW5kgo5AE

The only drawback is that the connectors are in reverse order (vertical - horizontal/vertical - horizontal).  And the hooks are not compatible at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxsFEcrkMhg

All in all, if you like the cartoon, this would be a great set.  My son will be quite happy with his Christmas gift.
[-] The following 5 users Like minchimurakami's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno, Nigels, Off The Rails, Super
Thanks Minch

It does run very well on Tomy track. Does he also navigate a Tomy switch point or the auto switch point? Wouldn't a regular Tomy hooked rolling stock hook up to that coupler?.

Thanks for the video and sharing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Nice looking train and it does appear to run really well. I like the push button on/off switch as well, this is something i think far more convenient than the normal PlaRail switch and in fact is the same mechanism used by the old Takara train system Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Interesting. I wonder if you could take it apart and change the connector to a Plarail one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Finno's post:
  • Super
I'll come back with more answers when I get a chance.  I've been busy making costumes for myself and my son.  Hope you all had good Halloween.

[Image: minchimurakami-74600027-160832685121641-...6052-n.jpg]

[Image: minchimurakami-75642482-2510245445861686...9325-n.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like minchimurakami's post:
  • chrisjo, Finno
(10-29-2019, 08:54 AM)Super Wrote: Thanks Minch

It does run very well on Tomy track. Does he also navigate a Tomy switch point or the auto switch point? Wouldn't a regular Tomy hooked rolling stock hook up to that coupler?.

Thanks for the video and sharing.

Hi Super,

Titipo train navigates the switchers just fine.  Take a look at the video here.  It actually runs pretty darn smoothly.

Also, little fun gimmick with the passenger cars.  You can seat passenger figures in there and they go up and down as the wheels turn. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0S-efMweU
  • chrisjo, Super
(10-29-2019, 08:53 PM)Nigels Wrote: Nice looking train and it does appear to run really well.  I like the push button on/off switch as well, this is something i think far more convenient than the normal PlaRail switch and in fact is the same mechanism used by the old Takara train system Smile

Hi Nigels,

The push button is of good quality. However, it's kind of awkward as the train already starts to take off while you are pushing down on it.  You can see in the video how the train is trying to wiggle out of my hand like a fish is escaping sushi chef's hands.

I think what's great about Plarail switches is that, you push the switch forward (in the direction the train moves) to turn it on, and pull it backward as you are stopping the train.  It makes so much sense. 

After trying out this Titipo train, I come to appreciate the smallest engineering that went into creating Plarails, even the switches on them.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019, 01:51 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes minchimurakami's post:
  • Super
(10-31-2019, 08:52 AM)Finno Wrote: Interesting. I wonder if you could take it apart and change the connector to a Plarail one.

Hi Finno,

First of all, I want to reiterate that the orders of the connectors are in reverse order on these Titipo trains.

Locomotive: male (vertical)
2nd car: female (horizontal) - male (vertical)
3rd car: female (horizontal) - male (vertial)

Exact the opposite of Plarail.

[Image: IMG-20191101-144246756.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191101-144226478.jpg]

You can forcefully connect them to Plarail connectors, but they are not great fit.  The Plastic is more rigid and connectors are much thicker than Plarail's.

Female Titipo to male Plarail is very loose, and can easily come off.
[Image: IMG-20191101-144404020.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191101-144413104.jpg]

It's hard to connect Female Plarail to Male Titipo, and you have to jam them in.
[Image: IMG-20191101-144456216.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191101-144505550.jpg]

And the cars will be in reverse direction as I have already mentioned.

Now the attachments for these connectors...

The attachments for both male and female Titipo connectors are like the attachments for male Plarail connectors.  Both male and female connectors have horizontal bars fixing the connectors inside the cars.  So, that's different from female Plarail connector that has the horizontal ring inside the car.

[Image: IMG-20191101-145113781.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191101-145430317.jpg]

You could replace both male and female Titipo connectors with male Plarail connectors if that's your cup of tea.
[Image: IMG-20191101-145656966.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20191101-145714224.jpg]

But, also note that Car #2 and #3 are identical.  Both of them have male and female connectors.  And they can be towed forward or backward.  So, you could just have them towed backward 
[Image: IMG-20191101-150424623.jpg]

So, at the end of the day, depending on what you want, you can create your own solution more or less.  It's just annoying that they are in reverse order and the connectors have different design with more rigid plastic.
  • Finno, Super
Very clever Halloween Costumes Minch. Great idea with the crossing gate. LOL...Hannibal Lecter? Is your son's costume this very Titipo engine you are showing us?

(11-01-2019, 10:12 PM)minchimurakami Wrote: You can seat passenger figures in there and they go up and down as the wheels turn. 

This is very cool.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]