Titipo Trains (I kid you not) from Korea?!?

20 Replies, 23327 Views

Have any of you guys ever seen these before?  I'm not sure of scale, but they look probably to be PlaRail compatible and indeed many of the sets appear to be 'cloned' parts at a glance;

TITIPO Trains
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Finno
It certainly LOOKS Plarail compatible! I like the fact that they’ve produced the track in gray, which is a major attraction for me.

And yeah, because my sense of humor stopped maturing when I was about 10, I had to snicker at the name! I need to get some sets and run my Plarail “Richard Densha” on the layout because yeah, I’m immature!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Finno
Never seen them either Nigels. I didn't notice them in Toys R Us when I was in Seoul but more likely to see them in the markets I guess.
I messaged one of the sellers and asked if they were Tomy/Plarail/ blue track compatible, and was told “No, that their not.” :/
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
Shame, they look compatible, they are definitely ripoffs design wise though ?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
Check this video out. I'm sure Thomas here is Plarail. Perhaps, the sellers are not aware about the compatibility, or they mean the tracks are not compatible. Connectors are clearly different from Plarail's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3OE8dPnQz0
[-] The following 2 users Like minchimurakami's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Thats very interesting Minch, that sure shows a Plarail Thomas running the same track. So are these character trains based from a South Korean childrens show?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yes. Titipo Titipo is a Korean CGI cartoon about little train named Titipo and his train friends.  (It's my 2.5 year old son's favorite show.) It's a spin off of Tayo the Little Bus.  The show is available on Amazon Prime and Youtube.  It's a pretty good children's show.

My guess is they copied Plarail for their toy line, with the same gauge for tracks, but changed the track connection from trapezoid Plarail connector to roundish (?) connector to avoid patent infringement.

I'm going to ask our relatives to give my son these trains for Christmas, so I'll probably find out more about them.  In the meantime, I left the youtuber a question about the compatibility.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 02:34 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like minchimurakami's post:
  • Finno, Super
Thanks Minch

I had to look up a YouTube video of the series...I was really surprised the show is in English

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yup. Originally in Korean and dubbed in several languages I think.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 02:51 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes minchimurakami's post:
  • Super