S scale Tomy Thomas?

15 Replies, 15753 Views

Hi all so over the summer I visited this wonderful model train store in Gettysburg, PA and whilst there I stumbled across this Tomy Thomas in the box, however not is all that it seems...

[Image: IMG-1074.jpg]

Upon closer inspection, this was actually a Tomy Thomas converted to run on an S gauge chassis. Annie and Clarabel had been converted too.

[Image: IMG-1075.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1076.jpg]

So yeah, as you can imagine I was quite shocked to find these. If you look behind Thomas you will see they had another Thomas and a Percy made in the same fashion.  If anyone has heard of the toy train museum in Strasburg, Pennsylvania I believe they used to run one of these on their s gauge layout back in the day, probably around 2007.
That’s awesome!
Very interesting...the sticker on the front seems to look official, like it was added either by Tomy or by someone licensed to modify them for sale?
Does the Thomas look factory in its changes?
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
I did not have a chance to open it up but from what I remember and the pictures the install looked very clean. However it could very well be someone modifying them on their own. It was $100 for each train so maybe if the prices go down I'll pick one up, I dont own anything S gauge related though lol.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019, 06:18 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRedEngine's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
You mean this Thomas?  Big Grin

[Image: GQ3kDRT.jpg]

[Image: l6OtioF.jpg]

He was sitting on the layout when I visited late last month.
[-] The following 3 users Like Trainfanz's post:
  • DalaGStanator, MuddyPoppins, TheRedEngine
Bingo!! So Glad he's still there!
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019, 06:40 AM by Super.)
  • MuddyPoppins
Very interesting T-Red. A little snooping on the Net and it looks like they aren't around anymore and the address I could find for Putt Trains inc was a house way back in the boondocks of Ohio. Looking at T-Fanz pictures it looks to be AC powered from the tracks as I would think any battery packs would have had to be in the coaches. It would be neat to see how he did this but maybe since he was selling them he didn't want to give away secrets. It also looks like there were a couple AC or DC Trolleys that he made in S gauge but I couldn't find much else. (see pics below) Anyone else have better luck?

Putt Trains (Mr Terry Putt)
6596 Bogue Road
Orwell, OH 44076

[Image: 000-0005-24.jpg] [Image: side.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
My guess is that he is running his business out of his home, not uncommon in the states, saves on costs having a separate store/facility. Unfortunately, I am not so close to Ohio or I'd go have a visit myself. Whether it still exists or not is another question.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019, 06:50 AM by Super.)
  • Super
I've never heard of 'S Scale', it looks about 'HO/OO Scale' apart from the comments about it potentially being AC powered (so not exactly one for the little ones I would guess Smile )
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
@ Nigels: S scale is approximately 1/64 scale. It was a fairly popular scale for a while in post-WW2 US.

I’m honestly surprised that the Tomy shells fit S scale mechanisms.
S or Standard Gauge is 1/64th 2 Rail Electric as opposed to 3 rail O gauge . Primarily marketed by Lionel as American Flyer range