Fuses in non-TnA engines?

9 Replies, 9808 Views

I've seen a thin bit of wire on a little section of PCB in Talk n Action engines to function as a fuse, but this summer I came across an earlier (white rimmed face, old dates) US Edward in a thrift store that had the same fuse arrangemet in the tender. Has anyone else seen this in early US (I'm guessing Tomica World era) or other normal engines?

[Image: IMG-20190503-150827-1.jpg]

The similarly old Henry in the same bag did not have it, and I never remember seeing it on any other Thomas engines, not that I've had every one I own open. Was this something Tomy may have thought was needed to sell the toys in the US to fulfill some US safety requirement on kids toys, and eventually the requirement was dropped or relaxed?
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
I never heard somebody can get electric shock from batteries. Fewer wires are needed due to innovations?
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
You couldn't get a real shock from a AA or C cell battery without... seriously trying to, but the fuse would probably be for a short circuit, the thin wire would burn up under high current flow rather than the battery
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
I didn't know about these until Mr Ripley and PGMike had talked about them in the TnA engines. I think that these fuse type wires were supposed to protect small circuit boards but I could be wrong about that. But if what you have pictures are from engines without any circuit boards I wouldn't think that the motors needed to be saved from a spike from a 1.5 volt 'C' battery.

I think PGMike had a video about him explaining and replacing one of these I will find it.

Ah, here it is...

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DuckGWR
There was one in the tender of a UK Tomica World Gordon that I repaired the other day (replaced broken battery terminal). The scrap James tender from which I got the replacement terminal had one in it as well.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2019, 07:48 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DuckGWR, Super
I know this is a bit of an odd thread to post this in, but would anyone know how to acquire a knew coupling for the TnA engines?

I just received a Japanese TnA Henry and Thomas from Japan for dirt cheap, but I didn't realize they both had snapped couplings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes v8eatrice's post:
  • Super
What does the coupling look like v8ea?
[Image: Screenshot-20200703-085701.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20200703-085728.jpg]
They use this rather fragile boxy looking coupling. I believe its also used on a few non-Thomas Plarail trains, maybe one of the remote controlled ones?

I've never found a good exact replacement, I usually super glue the original back together. I would probably go with the wider boxier couplings meant for tender drive engines if trying to replace them with something still available.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371235819495
[Image: Screenshot-20200703-090252.jpg]
Or, even easier to get, the replacement couplings for the normal tender engines, but I'm not sure if the coupling would then be too short to allow the full range of motion
So this train isn't a 'pusher' so maybe these would work especially holding the wires together.
Coupling

[Image: d.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DuckGWR
Here is another Listing where you get more Couplings