What the Heck is This??? Plarail 60th Anniversary Black Cat Nyan Train

17 Replies, 13760 Views

What the heck is this...custom, prototype...what???

EDIT:
Mystery Solved by Member DuckGWR

[Image: 71777301-2455677631174480-7728739167491850240-n.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I was thinking it look like "How to train your Dragon" Movie dragon. It probably not.
Apparently it's a limited edition of 3000 made to commemorate the 60th anniversary of... well at first I thought it was a number one song about a black cat that came out in Japan in October 1969, which would make sense for the anniversary and fit with the cat theme and the name (? possibly? Its something like black cat nyah train or something with a lot more "neko" and "nya"s involved.), but then they kept mentioning 明星シャルメラ which is one of the main noodle products the food company makes I guess, but the food company is much older and the "Myosei Charmera" (Meisei Charmelera? I'm not really sure) was released in 1966 according to Wikipedia, and I don't know how the black cat factors into the strictly food explanation.

https://www.myojofoods.co.jp/news/8219.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuroneko_no_Tango
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%98%8E%...F%E5%93%81

Either way, its a contest prize for sending in I assume proof of purchase of instant noodle products to celebrate the 60th anniversary of... something, either a cat song or they're three years off the noodle anniversary. Sounds like from the description (random cat meowing and mentioning multiple batteries) that the end car has a sound feature, notice the traction tires. Comes with a little set too.

[Image: 20191002-02.jpg]

I actually also thought How to Train your Dragon at first glance, Drew

Edit: I guess I forgot how time works and decided there was another decade sometime between now and 1969, I think its Plarail's anniversary not a cat song or noodles. Not sure what the cat connection is in that case.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckGWR's post:
  • Super
Fantastic, Thank you very much for the detailed information Duck.

Wow, has sound too and I thought those were eggs in the middle car but your Link says they are 2 Cat Dolls and may be removable according to how I read the description. It also looks like they are awarding 3000 of these so I am sure that we will see them show up in the Auctions when the contest is over some time after Feb 29 2020. Plus it looks like the odds are pretty good with 3000 for the random draw. I wouldn't mind having one of these unique trains. Thanks again
Ah! My bad, it seems like it's Plarail's 60th anniversary it's celebrating, not a cat song or instant noodles. Got my years mixed up and thought 1969 was 60 years ago, not 50! I'm not really sure why they went with a cat theme though.
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckGWR's post:
  • Super
Might the Black Cat be a Logo or character of the Noodle company?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DuckGWR
First video I have seen of the Plarail 60th Anniversary Black Cat Nyan Train. It has sound but what is it saying? Could it be an advertisement for the noodle company?

(12-10-2019, 07:17 PM)Super Wrote: Could it be an advertisement for the noodle company?

Yes, the cat character is 'Starlight Charmela' : https://www.myojofoods.co.jp/charumera/

[Image: image.png]
[Image: image.png]

"Those who have purchased and applied for the target product will receive a special Plarail “Kuroneko no Nya Nya Train” limited to the Meisei Charmela Campaign for 3,000 people by lottery."

[Image: image.png] [Image: image.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 01:06 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
Yes Dr Chris....it is themed after the mascot of the noodle company, what my query is...what the train is saying, is that a promotional saying?

Wonder how much one of these will go for when they start appearing in the Japan Auctions?
I think it sounds the same as the closing part, presumably a catch-phrase, of the noodle-cooking advert video that's on the page I linked to.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super