How to: How to Stop a Loud Loco

10 Replies, 8970 Views

Another Great 'How To' Tutorial from Member Powerful Gordon Mike

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 5 users Like Super's post:
  • brtrainz, confusedanddelayed, Finno, Nigels, Off The Rails
good! because some of my engines are having this problem. it'll be really useful!
[-] The following 3 users Like PlarailTown's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Off The Rails, Super
PGM's videos are a wonderful resource! Really helped de-mistify the inner workings of the trains. Bravo Powerful Gordon Mike!
[-] The following 2 users Like confusedanddelayed's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
While I don’t have Mike’s skill at repair work, I use the same screwdriver set! So I’ve got that going for me! LOL Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super, TrainMan2001
Now you know if I tried that I would be sitting at the end of the job saying "Where did all of these extra parts come from?"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer Bob's post:
  • Super
Brilliant!!!

I just repaired a Thomas and used Mikes suggestions.

This Thomas had a loose clutch gear which is also the drive gear so the clutch slipped easily when Thomas tried to go up hill creating a clicking noise too. I took him apart and replaced the clutch gear and that stopped the slipping but the clicking remained. For the most part I had always assumed that these Thomas type motor assemblies were prone to noises so I would always gears everything up and the noise would lesson but certainly still be there. Because of this video I decided to check out that motor gear very closely. Using a magnifying glass and a small but bright pen light....sure enough there was a very thin, hair line crack in that gear, easily over looked with the naked eye. And, as Mike states, replacing that gear took all the noise away. I don't know how many of these motor units I have replaced or lubed up because I couldn't quiet it down but I have a pile of them that I was using for parts that I am surly going to check those motor gears on now.

Thanks Mike Smile Smile Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Off The Rails
PGM, or anyone else who may know, where do you source the 10 and 12 tooth gears you used in the videos? Thanks again for the great tutorials!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM by Super.)
I get mine from Ali Express or off ebay. They take a while to get here, but do in the end.
There is also a 8 tooth that is used in Mini racers that is used in some of them. Has a different end too it.
[Image: Screenshot-2020-01-07-US-0-71-20-OFF-EWS...us-8-T.png]
These are in some the engines where the engine is screwed into the frame from the inside. Emily's tender, Murdoch's tender and trains like Duncan, Dennis etc.

There is also a 14 tooth cog on some engines for the Axle drive cog on some engines.

Just make sure you get the right inside hole. Motors are 2mm and axles are 2.5mm.
[-] The following 2 users Like AOF04's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super
Thanks! And assuming you get the right diameter gear, you don’t need to glue or otherwise fix the gear onto the axle or motor stem? You just push it on? Thanks again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes confusedanddelayed's post:
  • Super
With the motor gears they are easy enough to push on, but you have to be careful of not damaging the cog edges.
No glue need.  Watch the axle one with Harveys Coach.  These cogs are easy enough to put on with the right technique. 
I believe Super had a neat way of putting them on with a piece of wood with a hole in it and a clamp.  That is how I do it, but the hard part if getting the wheel off without breaking it.  Be careful of that job.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2020, 02:40 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like AOF04's post:
  • confusedanddelayed, Super