2 different versions of 151 Kodama never seen before?

5 Replies, 4323 Views
Thread Closed 

Look at the windows:

[Image: i-img800x800-1579152061o7zvef652872.jpg]

Top Kodama is the normal version, the bottom Kodama is the never seen before one. Some people told me it is an error product, but there is no trusted source.

Does anyone know how to get these 2 different versions other than 50th anniversary?
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
Looking at my trusty Plarail 60th Anniversary Book and since this 151 Series Kodama is 10 years old (50th Anniversary Edition) it was released in 2009. Looking at the bottom example of your picture it looks like a mis-match train, possibly each piece from a different set. The left engine looks to be the 50th Anniversary Edition. The middle coach looks to be from the 485 Limited Express released in the same year. That right faux engine needs further research as it doesn't appear to be from the 50th Anniversary set with its different window configuration and wide red stripe. Wonder if there was a much earlier release of this train. So my guess would be that the bottom one could not have been new in the box when purchased. Are these yous Vio?

EDIT:
There were 2 earlier releases in 1971 and 2002 but nothing like the right on the bottom in your picture so that mystery goes on. I do like this train (don't have one) to me it has that vintage car look of the 40, 50 and 60's
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
Not mine, saw it in the Yahoo auctions. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b441542307
Thanks for the opinion! Maybe the trailing car had been modified? It is really hard to tell because some people in Japan are really good at making modifications.
  • Super
Those windows on the rear car are much bigger and in different positions to the real Anniversary release and appear to be embossed. If it is custom work they are a genius. lol I am curious as to where it came from though. I will have to delve into it more.
  • violater
I tried reverse searching both in English, Japanese and Chinese. But I can't seem to find anything yet. Reason why Chinese because the 151 Kodama is made in China and hoped that there are factory blueprint data.
  • Super
I am now wondering if there was a 181 included in one of the rare, non-general releases that has 3 trains included in one box. Now there is something for a 'I Wish Tomy Would'
  • violater