Product Numbering & Bar Code Verification of Phantom Plarail Sets

98 Replies, 63998 Views

Well, as my team, myself, and no museum owners are TOMY staff, it is impossible to know what is all the secrecy about. It more likely have been lost due to the change of TOMY to Takara Tomy. Because the company changed their internal structure and many employees merges with Takara, it is impossible to know if the former employees remember what took place before 1 March 2006, the day that these 2 companies merged.

Till this day, no museum has ever reached the state of completeness. Not even Biglobe museum's Plarail manufactured before 1990 is complete. We used the wayback machine to access old auctions and blogs (some information like images are completely lost), we visited closed auctions from aucfan and ta-ka-ra to find out what are the past auctions from 2012 until now, and we also visited house to house and submitted our house addresses to other teams to collect verbal theories and physical box image taking. These are the ways we use to complete the history of Plarail, and we have been doing this since the 90s. What a journey it has been.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 08:02 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 3 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, Super, Tharazero1
I found another N-22, from the ターミナルステーションセット which was also manufactured in 1974 along with the ハイウェイぜんじどうふみきりセット. Notice these 2 sets have the Plastic Highway system, which is the first generation of Motor Tomica.

[Image: Eng-F2-RMUw-AEHor-B.jpg]

I collected information from other sets released the same year, and as per my expectations, they are all G-22. I'm starting to theorise that the N alphabet is to mark sets that contains Plastic Highway, and G marks sets that are in the normal line. Plastic highway was also manufactured by TOMY, but wasn't really a Plarail as those Plastic Highway had their own sets without the Plarail mark. G-22 is a period from 11/1973-10/1974, but I know that the sets are confirmed 1974 from a catalogue. The single item wise, might be 1973.

[Image: Enja-Hf-QUUAEv-J6-H.jpg]

Moreover, I also realised that one ST mark is a white sticker (curiously a sticker and not printed) on one box, and the numbers are close to each other. So they are registered safe-to-play in the same period.

[Image: Enjd035-Uw-AUb-K0l.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Speaking of the Motor Tomica...have any more pictures, from the box or actual, of this vehicle as I don't immediately recognize it from the chopped off photo.

[Image: Eng-F2-RMUw-AEHor-B.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
It is Plastic Highway, not Motor Tomica. There is a bus and a red Bluebird SSS Coupe only.

[Image: 1111.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
Thanks Vio
I was hoping it was phantom Motor Tomica that I didn't know about. Aren't those Plastic Highway ones  just a bit bigger than Motor Tomica...right?.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
Around the same size but it uses 1 AA battery and the chassis is totally different. Forgot to tell you that there was also a Crown Patrol Car, so there are 3 types.
The whole Plastic Highway series is a phantom gem, those roads are very hard to find these days...
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
Wow...they use a 'AA' battery and they are the same size or close to the Motor Tomica in size?
(11-25-2020, 06:53 AM)Vio Wrote: Around the same size
Although that G-nn numbers are generally found in the Early Hikari-Go Mark era, there is also a MS-nn number in this range. In this case, MS-28, which is 1979/1980.
Likewise, it was strange that 基本No.3セット had a confirmed G-26 and MS-28, where MS-nn numbers are generally found in the Mid Hikari-Go Mark era.

[Image: i-img1200x900-1606908724dqybjw579965.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
I made a provisional database for set products. Red font means unconfirmed information, but all blackened spaces are confirmed.

[Image: Untitled.png]