Child Guidance / Kiddie Land Trains

28 Replies, 20408 Views

For some background see the recent Yuuenchi Thread.

I have obtained a set identical to the one shown in this video:

Although we know that this is a product produced under licence from Tomy, and is identical (apart from the tracks) to the 1968 Plarail product shown in the 2019 Plarail Encyclopedia, there is no mention of Tomy on the box, and no branding on the locomotive or the cars. There is no writing at all on the underside of the loco, but the cars and the rides have 'JAPAN' embossed in very tiny letters. The red tracks themselves have "MADE IN GT. BRIT." on them. On the box it does say "components imported from Japan, assembled and packed in Great Britain".

I also got this instruction sheet / order form, which shows that it pre-dates the decimalisation of UK currency (February 1971).

[Image: CGKL-instruction-sheet001.jpg] [Image: CGKL-instruction-sheet002.jpg]

I also note that the drive wheels of the loco don't have tyres, they are instead made of a slightly flexible rubbery plastic, with ribs resembling those of typical Plarail tyres moulded onto them.
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super, violater
So maybe the ones with faces and the odd tracks are for other markets than Japan and the one with the Tomy blue tracks is from Japan?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Very lucky find, where did you find it? New or used condition?
[-] The following 2 users Like violater's post:
  • MuddyPoppins, Super
(02-19-2020, 02:24 AM)Vio Wrote: Very lucky find, where did you find it? New or used condition?
On Ebay UK, in used condition, and with a very battered box, but all working.

[Image: image.png]

I found another box that looks not much better, but about 450 miles away. It's showing in the background on some photos of guitars for sale, and going cheap, but the seller will only deal in person with cash customers, and has shown little interest in revealing the contents of the box.

[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • violater
USA version..

• Super
I wonder where the decision was made that the foreign versions would have the odd rail and the Japan would be Tomy? Would it have been Child Guidance who produced them or Tomy retooled to make the rail and carny rides?
Another one using the same Yuuenchi loco:

Note text on box cover "LOCO IMPORTED FROM JAPAN".

[Image: CG-8-01a.jpg]   [Image: CG-8-02.jpg]   [Image: CG-8-03.jpg]
  • Super
Wow, that is a pretty neat set Dr Chris, nice find, is it yours? I am amazed about that "Loco Imported From Japan" on the box. Not sure I have seen something like that on any product where the manufacturer states where one particular part comes from. I assume that they refer to just the engine being from Japan. That figure eight is certainly different too.
(04-19-2020, 03:42 PM)Super Wrote: Wow, that is a pretty neat set Dr Chris, nice find, is it yours?
It's on Ebay UK at the moment.
  • Super
There are 2 types of Double-O-Eight at the moment, the Yuuenchi and the Blue 0 Series. Blue 0 Series is one of the hardest ones to find, it has no tail car and intermediate car.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super