The Backyard Tidmouth

28 Replies, 20079 Views

Eager to see any pictures you can share.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Tharazero1
[Image: 011.jpg][Image: 013.jpg]

I've recently finished assembling a Helmer for the side of the desk, which turned out to work really well. Like the cabinet, it has (non swiveling) casters to make it easier to move. The drawers themselves have a great horizontal and vertical depth and slide very easily (with the exception of the lowermost for mine). To make them removable when needed, I chose not to fold the side tabs. However, the whole unit is a type of metal that makes fingerprints near permanent, and the way the rails are mounted makes them very prone to falling off. Despite the shortcomings, I'm quite happy with it.

[Image: 014.jpg][Image: 08-E2-D48-B-5-D85-4-FBF-B71-B-793-A32610535.jpg]

I initially loaded the TOMY/TrackMaster engines vertically (like they've been stored until now), but most turned out to be too long and had to be placed on their sides. Same with the coaches and trucks in the drawer right after it.

[Image: 015.jpg]

On the other hand, their Take Along/Take 'n Play counterparts can be stored the way I intended. Currently, the other three drawers contain most of the other stuff from the original piece of furniture (a dedicated "toy" organizer I hope to remove after all its contents could be transferred. Some of the plastic boxes from it are broken due to sun damage from big windows).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Love that metal drawer cabinet, very sturdy, When stacking sideways I use shelf liner on the bottom of my drawers so the trains don't move when opening and closing the drawers causing the trains to move. The movement, even ever so slight, may cause rubbing on the paint...heck, I even have the liner in drawers that I store the trains right side up (on their wheels) so they won't roll back and forth possibly, over time, cause wear on the front and/or rear buffers. Nice addition to the shed.
  • DalaGStanator
Thanks for the tip, Supes. I didn't even remember the existence of such products for shelves and drawers. The movement should be less of a problem with Take Along because their couplings can magnetise to the drawers (except Bertie), but I'll see what I can do for TOMY, TrackMaster and the other items.
  • Super
[Image: 1-B8-F70-D9-3101-45-BF-B5-F0-EBB641-A6-F192.jpg]

Yesterday, I decided to go look for shelf liner after taking Super's advice. In the shop I went to, I couldn't seem to find something like he probably uses (with a surface that's rough enough to prevent slipping), so I was given a few placemats instead. I bought one to see if it would help, but it turned out things can still roll/slip on it. Fortunately, the drawers themselves are so cramped I probably don't need anything, because the TOMY/TM stuff has no room to move (besides things like dismantled engines). If anything, I might try using sheets of corrugated fiberboard (which has to be more effective).
  • Super
This is what I have used...is it similar to what you already tried?

[Image: Easy-Liner.jpg]
[Image: Untitlewtd.jpg]
  • DalaGStanator
Sadly, the way they are packed is the only similarity. Even without having one of these, I can tell the Select Grip is much coarser than a placemat. Thank you for showing what they look like.
  • Super
[Image: 75106634-8-D9-C-45-E3-8-FF6-43960425-EAA1.jpg]

In a similar shop of the same type, I bought rolls of proper anti slip mats for the drawers. Even though they're still not as coarse as the EasyLiner Select Grip, they do the job because they're intended for it (unlike the placemat). I'm glad they were easy to find and didn't have to be ordered online or something. It turned out I bought two more than necessary, so the remaining sheets might find other uses later on.
  • Super
Glad you found something that works for you.