DalaGStanator's Collections

14 Replies, 11413 Views

I already mentioned it on the day I gave it some minor improvements, but I've never shown it here until now.

Of course I adored it; It was (and still is) my favourite of all those five due to its proportions, detail and what it does, so I got upset when it ceased to operate. Even though I now have a power screwdriver, I still can't "drill" a new screw through the original to get the cover off and might have to use a more violent method. The screws for the whole top are sadly triangle headed and are still too small, so I don't have a way to remove it and can't check what's wrong with the gears that lock up. However, I suspect there may be something loose between them since the affected wheels can sometimes roll well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Happy New Year, engineers! Thought this might be an interesting addition to the thread.

Before I remove the printed images to (potentially) reuse the canvas, I'd like to reveal something I made 'at least' eight years ago and never wanted to bring up (not even in my introduction): an old TOMY Thomas & Friends wish list from circa 2014, which also had two Fisher Price engines on it.

[Image: Old-TOMYWishlist.jpg]

For an unusual (and still confidential) reason, Murdoch (of all engines) was one of my highest priorities back then. I also included normal versions of Gordon, James and Salty due to the oversized battery tenders and crate truck the Talking versions have, as well as their inability to free wheel; however, I did contradict that by choosing the Talking Henry on purpose to match my Gordon when I should've just picked a normal one. Both Bill and Ben were listed just because I already had a Ben I took apart for components. Now that I've warmed up to scratchbuilding and making my own versions of certain things, I effectively wouldn't have to look for the real items anymore. Should I ever need any of the characters they depict, I could trace parts of the items from photos of them and scale them (more or less) correctly. Only parts like faces, drive units, activation tabs etc. would be harder to recreate than others, though many of them could be unpowered as well. In the bottom corners, there was cringeworthy handwritten text that included poor wording and sensitive info I had to edit out. Even though I acknowledged that the prices online sellers were charging were too high when converted to shekels, I don't think I even checked listings for only the relevant items. Not sure if I knew about the scummy prices for Oliver either.

[-] The following 2 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • mitzalplik, Super
So have you aquired all of them now?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
I repeat:

Quote:Now that I've warmed up to scratchbuilding and making my own versions of certain things [something I refused to try or didn't know how to do as a child/young teen], I effectively wouldn't have to look for the real items anymore. Should I ever need any of the characters they depict, I could trace parts of the items from photos of them and scale them (more or less) correctly.

Let's just say I'm a former collector who has moved on from buying to scratchbuilding wherever possible, including things that are already commercially available.
Nevermind!
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]