Need help with swapping the front wheels on a Plarail chassis

9 Replies, 6782 Views

Hey guys, I'm new on here and was hoping to get help with something. (Hope it's ok to post the thread here BTW)

I'm ordering a Plarail Thomas and Merlin Coal Hopper set, I'm hoping to make the Merlin from the set Motorized and I have a spare 2015 Plarail Gordon Chassis to achieve this. I was going to swap the wheels and give the motorized chassis Merlins red wheels.

However a problem has occurred, I can't seem to remove the front wheels from the axle. It seems on one side the front axle might have been screwed really tightly or it has permanently been pined together. 

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this issue and also have solutions or ideas on how to remove the front axle and swap the front wheels.

Thanks  Smile
[Image: 107903525-589419052001825-8694810311286668592-n.jpg]

[Image: 108382771-275342607081735-5235505626649110129-n.jpg]

[Image: 109124356-229961544643098-2367014079048145769-n.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nate98's post:
  • Super
Hello Nate98 and welcome to BluePlasticTracks

First of all...are you sure a Gordon chassis will fit inside Merlin? I know Muddy Poppins swapped out a chassis that already had red wheels in his Merlin to make him motorized and it looks great. I can't find a Thread where he says what he used (Red Rosie maybe?) but he did have him running in a video HERE Hopefully he can stop by and either let us know or a member can direct us to a Thread.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nate98
If you are still going to try to use Gordon's chassis, and for anyone else wondering the same thing about pulling off an axel like this, you could probably use a pinion puller
[Image: H7000-0-2-1-500x500-1.jpg]
You would slide the small disc shape that has been crush fit onto the end of the axel (the one that is shown in Nate's picture, not the solid one on the other side) into that slot at the bottom so it overhangs the black part and the axel sticks out through the slot downwards. Then you'd tighten the bolt which would push the actual axel out of the hole in the disc. You would probably need a vice or press to put it back on, assuming you wanted to

I thought Merlin was designed to use the updated James chassis - is this the same one as the new Gordon? I have never had any of the updated AA battery Plarail tender engines
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Nate98
(07-12-2020, 05:33 PM)Super Wrote: Hello Nate98 and welcome to BluePlasticTracks

First of all...are you sure a Gordon chassis will fit inside Merlin? I know Muddy Poppins swapped out a chassis that already had red wheels in his Merlin to make him motorized and it looks great. I can't find a Thread where he says what he used (Red Rosie maybe?) but he did have him running in a video HERE Hopefully he can stop by and either let us know or a member can direct us to a Thread.

Thanks Super for the reply. From what I can tell the chassis will fit inside in Merlin as it's using the new updated chassis design from Plarail that has been used on the newly design Gordon, Henry, James, Edward and other engines like Ryan, Nia and Rebecca.

My guess is Muddy Poppins might be using the chassis that came with Hurricane but I was hoping to use this spare chassis I have instead of buying two Hurricanes. Thanks again

(07-12-2020, 06:22 PM)DuckGWR Wrote: If you are still going to try to use Gordon's chassis, and for anyone else wondering the same thing about pulling off an axel like this, you could probably use a pinion puller
[Image: H7000-0-2-1-500x500-1.jpg]
You would slide the small disc shape that has been crush fit onto the end of the axel (the one that is shown in Nate's picture, not the solid one on the other side) into that slot at the bottom so it overhangs the black part and the axel sticks out through the slot downwards. Then you'd tighten the bolt which would push the actual axel out of the hole in the disc. You would probably need a vice or press to put it back on, assuming you wanted to

I thought Merlin was designed to use the updated James chassis - is this the same one as the new Gordon? I have never had any of the updated AA battery Plarail tender engines

Thanks DuckGWR, that seems like a great idea actually. I might try and find one of these online, maybe look in a local hardware store or see if we have one about in the house.

Merlin uses the new updated chassis that engines like James, Gordon, Rebecca, Henry and Ryan use. The new updated chassis design is actually pretty good and the engines that share the chassis design have good shell designs except for the new Edward.

There's way more thought and better integration of this shared chassis idea than Trackmaster 2/Motorized's design. Thanks again
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020, 09:02 PM by Super.)
This is the method I use for pulling stub-axles from Revolution engines, should work just as well for pulling the ring off a Plarail / Tomy axle, though I've usually just done it with a couple of pairs of pliers, one to grip each end of the axle, pull and twist.

All you need is a few washers with holes bigger than the axle ring, there's two shiny ones and a rusty one here, the bevel on the jaws of the pincers pulls it off as you squeeze them shut. Add another washer if you need more pull...

[Image: IMG-8612.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator, DuckGWR, Nate98
What I have been doing is using a beefy square jawed Pliers (regular doesn't grip as good) grab the hub firmly and pull. Some will come off easy while others, like the one pictured, are harder to get off.  Get a good grip on the chassis...while pulling on the pliers a back and forth motion has to be exerted until it is persuaded to pop off. I have used this method tons of times but there is one drawback...the pliers have a tendency of leaving some teeth marks on the hub. Make sure you squeeze the hub even after it comes off as if the hub flies off it may be lost forever. When I reinstall the hub, I simply use the flat surface of my Vises anvil to lay the hub down, place the axle on it and with a mall hammer tap in down.

After seeing Ducks suggestion I am interested in looking further as it looks to be better because it won't leave teeth marks. It looks to be a bit too big though...Duck, have you used one?

[Image: DSCN0566.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0567.jpg]
  • chrisjo
Not on Plarail trains, they're meant for pulling pinion gears off of motor shafts and that's what I've used them for.  You would have to find one that's the right size for Plarail axles...

Based on a not so accurate tape around an axle method of finding the radius, Plarail axles (at lease the one from a James that I had sitting out) are about 3mm in diameter. You could get a purpose made 3-5mm one it looks like or get one like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/264724242174 that's adjustable, you'd find whichever of the needley bits is just smaller then the axle diameter and put it in the bolt, then put the flat plate with the two slits into the jaws at the bottom of the puller and slide the axel in as far as it would go, then screw down the bolt until the needle pushes the axel out from the plate.

Here's a video that probably explains it better then that: https://youtu.be/LyCC_yKew-g
Instead of pulling off pinion gears we'd be pulling the metal endcaps off
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
The axles with the removable hubs are 3mm's. Wonder why they don't list the sizes of the drift pins that come with that all in one nor do they list it with your first example pictured above. I would think that measurement is much more important than the tools overall size is.

That all in one Puller looks the way to go although for sure. I don't think it would work with the shinkansen type I showed or will it work with any front wheels on Diesels or Steamers that do not have traction rods attached to the from axle. They would be perfect for all others like Nate98's example and any engine that the traction rods attach to the front axle as there are more room. Also would be great for engines whos front axles and wheels can be removed and most all rolling stock.

I think I may just get one as they aren't that expensive as long as I can find a US Seller of them. Thanks Duck

EDIT:
Did find a US Seller, twice the price of China, and they state the drift sizes as...so it should work

Quote: -Includes 5 pins for motor shaft diameter 1.0mm-3.0mm
Thanks Duck for the heads up on this

My Gear Puller Set arrived and in a very nice box to keep all the parts in. Smaller than I pictured it in my mind. It is a bit clumsy to work with just your hands as holding the wheels, sliding part, lining up the drift pin and turning the screw is rather clumsy. But it works. It works with the wheels for side rods as Nate has pictured and works when the wheels are off the train but as expected it will not work with the wheel sets of the Shinkansens, Diesels or Electric trains where the axles and wheels can't be removed from the chassis like the one I pictured above. There isn't enough room between the back of the hub and the wheel itself to put this tool on.
 Although using the plier method is so fast and easy, I will use this so there is no chance of teeth marks on the hubs whenever I can.

[Image: DSCN0581.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0584.jpg]
  • DuckGWR
I would probably spray the wheels with white base coat and apply whatever colour your want the wheels to have.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/