TrainMan2001's N Scale Trains and Projects

43 Replies, 32046 Views

Old Slow Coach?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Very close. I initially thought so too since it looked long and didn't have broad windows, though I knew it was a brake coach. After counting the windows, my conclusion is you're making the Old Coaches that appeared only in Season 1. Will they use an Annie/Clarabel chassis, and will one side be painted teak like on the original models? I'd expect you're making them in anticipation of James (whose prototype was revealed a few weeks ago).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • Super
Yep, that's correct! They are the old coaches. I'll probably scratchbuild the chassis or design one to be 3d printed.
Modeling the LNER (and some Thomas stuff) in OO Scale.
[-] The following 3 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super, Tons of Trackmasters
So, not exactly a "progress" report, but a few photos from earlier in the process of Ffarquhar Sheds. I made them from 0.75mm thick plasticard and am currently cutting out pieces of the roof from 1.5mm thick plasticard (it's actually really hard to cut!).
[Image: 20210221-212847.jpg]

[Image: 20210221-212905.jpg]

[Image: 20210222-105307.jpg]

And here is the beginning of Annie and Clarabel, who are going to be done like their original RWS appearance, but with some added real-life detail as well. Thomas will eventually have details added to him too, once I work up the confidence.
[Image: 20210311-155835.jpg]

[Image: t725-1.png]
3D Concept

[Image: Thomasandthe-Guard-RS2-PNG.png]

I haven't done much with the old coaches because I did something out of order, which needs to be fixed.
[-] The following 2 users Like TrainMan2001's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator
(03-12-2021, 04:10 AM)TrainMan2001 Wrote: I am currently cutting out pieces of the roof from 1.5mm thick plasticard (it's actually really hard to cut!).
Rather than trying to cut through thick plasticard with a craft knife, you might want to get a scriber (also known by modellers as a 'scrawker' or 'skrawker'). This has a hook shaped blade that actually removes a very thin sliver of plastic as you draw it towards you (rather than just trying to displace the plastic each side of a knife blade, which is what makes it so hard to cut thick material).

Also great for scribing (obviously!) panel lines, woodgrain, etc. Mine is a REALLY USEFUL tool.

[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Thanks Chrisjo!
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator
1.5mm thick plasticard??? Wow...I don't think I have seen the likes of that. The biggest I have played with is .80
I think I would have to get me one of those mini tablesaws if I was going to be cutting up that Thick but then again, that wouldn't help with cutting out windows. Undecided

https://www.micromark.com/mini-powertool...table-saws
[Image: 80463-R-1.jpg]
Hey everyone, it's been a while, but I have an update. First off, I've decided to make a scene inspired by this one. The only difference is that it'll be done as a single track line.

[Image: Percy-Runs-Away20.png]

Here's the track layout:

[Image: 20210428-163237.jpg]

[Image: 20210428-163245.jpg]

After getting the track glued down, I began weathering the track using a process inspired by one I found on RMWeb. First, I painted the sleepers chocolate (that was the color I had to hand), then I painted the rails in rust. After that, I weathered the sleepers using Tamiya mud, snow, and soot. Here are a few pictures of the track.

[Image: 20210502-175301.jpg]

[Image: 20210502-175711.jpg]

[Image: 20210502-180153.jpg]

I feel like this is beginning to come together, which is pretty nice! I'd also like to do the watermill sometime, although I don't know when that would be.
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Love what you have done with the weathering T-Man. Heart Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
Thanks, Super!
  • DalaGStanator, Super