New 3D Engine Shell

16 Replies, 12806 Views

Isn't the shell on backwards?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
just print a longer coupling from the 3D printer lol.  Good luck repainting it using sharpie.  I think spray paint is the only way to do the trick.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • Super
Well at least it sort of fits Chris lol!

In my defence its not one of my designs, just one I found on that Japanese website.  I can attest to how thick the walls are though and you got it with the supports removed, with the supports it weighed easily twice as much lol!

It could do with some body shell clips being added for sure and possibly the walls thinning in places, but the outside detail isn't bad, would look ok painted or even in a less garish colour filament - but it was what I had loaded when I printed it lol!

What did you think of the TPU shell?
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
(07-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Super Wrote: Isn't the shell on backwards?

Not if you want the on/off switch to line up with the slot in the shell!

(07-27-2020, 10:59 PM)Nigels Wrote: What did you think of the TPU shell?

Interesting. At the moment I don't know how to clean it up, it's all too flexible for any kind of abrasive, and there are bendy/stretchy threads of filament to be removed somehow. I'm thinking about it. It also becomes charged with static electricity as soon as you start doing anything to it. Have you got a cat, or is all this hair from mine?!
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2020, 11:05 AM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
I assumed that they modeled it after the DE-10 in which case the long nose would have been the front

[Image: DSC05120.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
(07-28-2020, 09:26 AM)chrisjo Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 06:39 PM)Super Wrote: Isn't the shell on backwards?

Not if you want the on/off switch to line up with the slot in the shell!

(07-27-2020, 10:59 PM)Nigels Wrote: What did you think of the TPU shell?

Interesting. At the moment I don't know how to clean it up, it's all too flexible for any kind of abrasive, and there are bendy/stretchy threads of filament to be removed somehow. I'm thinking about it. It also becomes charged with static electricity as soon as you start doing anything to it. Have you got a cat, or is all this hair from mine?!

Yes, the odd threads in the inside top of the shell are due to me not using any supports when printing it as frankly I wasn't sure how the supports would work with the flexible filament.  If I were printing one seriously I'd probably have a try with supports, although removing them might be challenging as well.

And, yes I do have a cat, a very curious white cat who is currently moulting - sorry about that lol!
(07-28-2020, 11:13 AM)Super Wrote: I assumed that they modeled it after the DE-10 in which case the long nose would have been the front

[Image: DSC05120.jpg]

Looking again at the original lister's page it didn't actually say what model it was meant to be, but looking at the cab it looks like it can operate in both directions and in the illustration shown on their page the connector is indeed at the 'long nose' end.  Maybe that was just convenience though as if you had the shell the other way round the switch would be in a very awkward place and probably need some form of extension to make it accessible to turn it on/off (I had a similar issue with another shell I was working on and did go for the switch extension idea)...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super