Good Grief...90 Days?

12 Replies, 5354 Views

Finally, after 90 Days, this arrived from Japan yesterday.

The few items in this shipment (pictured below) was all I had to wait for and because my buying agent, Japamart, said it would cost $145.00 to ship DHL (they said DHL was cheaper than Fedex) I had to chose Surface Shipping through the Post Offices as thats the only way to ship to the US through the Postal Systems due to the Chinese Virus.

Now here is my issue and most likely why the cost for DHL was so high. The items below, by themselves and wrapped in bubble wrap only weighed in at just under 16 ounces (1 pound). The total weight of the package was 2 pounds 10 ounces. The box and the tons of newspaper filler weighed more than the items, 1 pound 10 ounces. The newspaper filler was way too much as they crumpled it up so tight that they used lots of it to fill the gaps inside which added to the weight.

They also use heavy duty boxes which I am not opposed to even though they weigh more than regular boxes because they protect the contents so well in their long distance travels. What I am opposed to (which they do on most occasions) is their use of these adjustable boxes where they are pre-creased so they can be folded down to make smaller boxes out of bigger boxes. I have used these types of boxes many times but what I do to save a buyer on shipping is cut the extra flaps once folded down to create flaps like a normal box would have, no over laps. What Japamart does is just fold the cardboard without trimming the excess where, in this case, results in the flaps being as long as the box. So, in this case, this made the top of the box 4 full layers thick which because it is heavy duty, thick, cardboard added wasted weight that drives up the cost of overseas shipping.

After around 50 shipments or more through Japamart from Japan I don't know what I will do with any other purchases going forward but this experience definitely put a bad taste in my mouth Chinese virus or not.

On the positive...I am really glad this arrived safely. Yes, that is a gray arched iron bridge. I am not sure if these are authentic because I have only seen them from one seller from China (and we know what to expect from there) but the bridge is new and is at least equal too if not better than a original Tomy/Plarail arched iron bridges. The only markings is an R-25 on the brown bumpy track that came with it. Besides the ones listed (expensive) in the Japan auctions from this seller, has anyone ever heard of a Tomy/Plarail arched iron bridge in gray before or has any additional information? The only colors I remember are green, Light Blue and Red. You all know my attraction to the gray rails and risers so needless to say I am thrilled that this is very well made no matter where it came from or who made it.

[Image: DSCN0782.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like Super's post:
  • FfarquharDeveloper, MuddyPoppins, Tharazero1, violater
90 days via boat is quite a long time, but I haven't seen a grey bridge with the brown rail. Did the brown rail come from those Thomas/Chuggington sets? Is the grey bridge made in Thailand?
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
What’s the difference between japamart and Jauce? Sorry for being a newbie? I just purchased a lot of items on Jauce.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ajtrain944's post:
  • Super
@Vio
There are no markings on the bridge and I am assuming that the bumpy rail is just something that the seller, who has more of these, added themselves. I took a chance on this as I was leaning towards this being from one of those cheap knockoff sets from China but is very surprised and glad that it is equal too or better than the real Plarail bridges in green, red or light blue.

@AJ
Japamart and Jauce are just two of the many, many Proxy Buying Agents that work out of Japan. All are similar but different, some are just buyers from stores in Japan that may not ship overseas, some are buyers and also do the Proxy bidding for you on Auction sites. Most all have different Fee structures, some are easy to understand some are confusing to the point of not really understanding how much they are. I think I am the only member using Japamart where most others here use Jauce but we do have some that have used other Agents or tested others and like them too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
I've signed up to Jauce some time ago and will be completing a bigger batch of purchases before the end of this year then having it shipped to the UK. I wonder how long that will take and how it will turn up. But It's going to be exciting wait with all the stuff you can't get here normally. Although that would be the majority of Plarail brand, so I'd have to order a cargo container if I wanted all the unusual stuff. Bet that would arrive safely Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes bijomaru78's post:
  • Super
(11-27-2020, 09:47 AM)bijomaru78 Wrote: ... I'd have to order a cargo container if I wanted all the unusual stuff. Bet that would arrive safely Smile
I'll go halves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
We'd probably need a bigger group for a container Wink But if you want something from Jauce let me know and I will happily add to my package and then ship it to you locally, or maybe deliver when lock-downs ease up. I'm looking at having it sent to me in Jan, so have the whole of December to stock up. Drop me a PM
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 10:48 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like bijomaru78's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Is shipping EMS from Japan open for you in the UK? Its still a no go to the States.
I recall some options not being available. I think it mentioned only ship 6-8 weeks as available for now.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2020, 07:06 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes bijomaru78's post:
  • Super
I have exact same bridge with bumpy rail which arrived other day. Don’t think it tomy one as I can’t find Tomy on bridge like red, green and light blue one had on it. It does feel slightly bit harder material than other ones. EMS shipping to nz been going for while.
[-] The following 1 user Likes drew5195's post:
  • Super