Thoughts on the "tender powered" engines.

29 Replies, 13585 Views

Hi all, 

just curious to know, what does everyone think of the tender motorised locomotives, such as Emily, Harvey, Murdoch, Molly etc? I've always found them quite a novelty even as a child! I love the big wheel on Emily though Smile, And I also how when you stop them at platforms, the locomotive pops off the end and more coaches can fit on the platform! Molly can be a bit sluggish though and often derails on both the blue and beige junctions :/
"Neville is a steamie who looks like a diesel. He's enthusiastic, friendly and always ready to help out the team. Neville never holds a grudge and can always be found with a smile on his face"
[-] The following 2 users Like TubeTrain's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Personally not a fan as years ago my Grandson and I were having so much trouble with them derailing all over the Layout. Especially at the top of slopes and at the switch points. But, they all are beautiful as you say. Even the Plarail steamers that 'push' are nicely detailed.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • TubeTrain
Well, I generally don't like tender powered engines. Somehow that's not the real deal: trains should be pulled by the engines, not by tenders. And sometimes it can look weird - you can actually see that the engine is not pulling the train, but it's being pushed by the tender instead.

But, my Emily is an exception. She is so unique with that big wheel. She never derails and she looks splendid!  Heart

[Image: IMG-20201019-080819.jpg]
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 3 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, FfarquharDeveloper, TubeTrain
I’m not a fan. Even with those like Emily or the C57 that run pretty good, there’s something odd about them in operation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator
I like the motor located in the tender section of the engine.  I can easily switch the tender around to makes the engine go background courtesy of swapping the couplings around.
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
Not too aesthetically pleasing, but there are cases where it has to be done like when the engine's shape/wheel arrangement leaves no room for the DU and battery, or if they have a complex mechanism like the Moving Eye Talking Thomas. On my Emily, I replaced both couplings with a regular loop one to bring her tender closer to the cab so she looks better (and more like engines with permanent tenders/other battery cars). I do agree with TubeTrain's point about platforms, though I always thought stations without built in track should have the stop/go placed after them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DalaGStanator's post:
  • TubeTrain
It does seem like the only trains that are Tender driven are ones that have intricate, highly detailed engine units. Like LaG says,  the different wheel arrangements on Molly, Emily and Murdoch which I love by the way. Even Plarail's C-57 has a more real like slender boiler and Cab that has no room for battery or motor.

Hmmm, Have we ever had a complete list of all Tender driven trains? Maybe divided into 2 sections, Tender Driven and Coach/Other Driven?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • DalaGStanator
There’s my dilemma with the C57 in particular. It LOOKS really good and for a tender powered engine, it runs okay. But look at the somewhat similar C58 which, to me, seems to function better. Emily is a tough call because she’s an unusual design compared to later designs of steam engines.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator
There is a tender driven C58?
I don’t really care for tender driven engines either.
@Mr. No YES! engines should ALWAYS do the pulling, @DalaG Yes, unless there is a worthy feature or function installed in the engine (like moving eyes Talking Thomas).
But @ Yes OTR, other than that, they look and feel wrong to me too.
I don’t understand why exactly this was ever done?
All of the original tender driven Thomas characters were eventually liberated, so why not make them that way from the beginning?
If FisherPrice was able to make a single unit motorized talking engine, it seems that anything is possible, and @Super, there seems to be many designs and ways to wiggle a battery inside of a tiny engine chassis, but that it’s ultimately more of just an issue of using the crutch of convenience.
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Mister No, Tharazero1