Thoughts on the "tender powered" engines.

29 Replies, 13579 Views

I am not the largest fan either. I think the best thing about them is if you change out the couplers and which adds more power to pull a longer train on a large straight track.
Good point about adding to a long train.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
@ Super: I was referring to the two more recent C58s; The Imperial Train and The Ginga Train. They and the C57s represent similar sized locomotives but the C57 is tender powered while the C58 is locomotive powered.

As far as I can tell, the primary reason for this is to allow a Plakid to sit in the cab of the C57.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator
(12-15-2020, 12:23 PM)Super Wrote: Hmmm, Have we ever had a complete list of all Tender driven trains? Maybe divided into 2 sections, Tender Driven and Coach/Other Driven?

I can go ahead and make another document about loco driven engines, tender driven engines, and coach/other driven engines if yall want.
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2020, 04:40 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Speaking of the drive unit document, it's still missing all the last trains I confirmed (with help from Ucwepn and Wasinojinsei's videos). A propulsion method document would be somewhat redundant if you were to add notes to the respective engines in their DU entries (i.e., "Hank (HiT, in tender)" and "Hank (Fisher Price, in loco)").
@Ffar

Yes, please do as that information will be nice to have for us and to and for future enthusiasts to our pastime.
When they work as intended they can be great and showcase a character thst would be impossible to power via the loco itself, locos such as Plarail Stephen and Murdoch are great looking engines. The tenders of course have their problems, they can be noisy with low grip and theres no real way to correct those flat drive units its all luck (if you have a good one) and wether you can fit any weight to them.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • chrisjo, Super, Tharazero1
I love the look of the C-57 as it is slim, long and very well detailed. I may have been easier to a direct drive motor which wouldn't take up much space and have fewer gears in the engine body, have the battery in the Tender and still be able to keep the slim lines. Something like the motor body laying flat on the bottom of the chassis near the axle gear.

UC, I actually was enlightened not too long ago by videos from member Powerful Gordon Mike and YouTuber Custom Trackmaster where its a hair line crack in the gear that directly attaches to the motors shaft that makes the flat drives noisy. I always thought it was some other gears that were the cause but never sopped the noise. By replacing the motor shaft gear quiets them down considerably. This replacing also helps with noise from other types of motor styles.
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Mister No, Ucwepn
(12-20-2020, 10:19 PM)Super Wrote: I love the look of the C-57 as it is slim, long and very well detailed. I may have been easier to a direct drive motor which wouldn't take up much space and have fewer gears in the engine body, have the battery in the Tender and still be able to keep the slim lines. 

I think slim looking body is one of the main reasons for making tender driven engines. And there is the solution: to put the battery in the tender, and the motor in the engine body. Like (old) Edward! In many cases (not all) that would be the best solution, and the engine would actually pull the train.  Idea
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
This is possible with engines like Emily, and possibly Molly where you can fit in a Motor from a TrackMaster revolution engine and wire it up to the Terminals as shown with Custom Trackmasters' Iron Duke Custom
- roxaclock

"see ya around!"
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 10:13 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like FfarquharDeveloper's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super