How Do You Remove Siderods? (Updated Conclusion)

15 Replies, 17978 Views

Thanks for the suggestion TrainMan2001
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Super, I use a similar method to your suggestion. Except instead of using bent nose tweezers I used side cutters (angled cutting pliers). Obviously I don't squeeze to tight or I'll cut the ball part off the rod. Just gently squeeze and use the same lever action to 'pop' the rod out of the wheel. I don't have much experience with the new Trackmaster so I don't know how it goes with the tighter fitment.

The only one drawback I have come across is some models have a softer/flexible plastic side rod. This lever/pull method can stretch the ball part of the side rod making it fit poorly when reinstalled.

Dale.
I now also use a spot of thin oil on the back side to prevent the softer ones from stretching and to easily slip out the others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
Helped a lot. Though the older siderods with a gap between the 2 parallel lines are far more brittle than the newer type.
[-] The following 1 user Likes violater's post:
  • Super
I have quite a few of those as spares too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • violater
I mostly use tweezers as well. Some models are easy to pull off with your fingers.
Making Customs, Filming Videos and looking for the purest engines. That's how I roll here on Blue Plastic Tracks.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TB90Prod2
[-] The following 2 users Like Trainboy90 Productions's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super