Making an ED42 Custom

3 Replies, 4502 Views

Another brilliant custom from YouTuber 'tp31p' Such embossed details. Love those side rods or whatever you call them. Look at the innovative way to hold the shell onto the chassis...magnets. I didn't understand how he was able to add traction to the tires as the rubber bands didn't look thick enough. Although it does look to be a little tall to make it under any elevated rail or through a riser it doesn't take away the fact that this is a fine custom. I wonder what type of glue he uses?

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Super's post:
  • chrisjo, DalaGStanator, Mister No
Now THAT is a great looking model! Not only is the scratch building impressive but he managed to avoid the “hunting” (wobbling sideways) that you often see with Plarail engines and especially with customs.

I’m curious about the real ED42 as well. The central electric motor driving the wheels through connecting rods is not uncommon (the famous Swiss Crocodiles come to mind) but this particular arrangement is unique looking. Hopefully, there are some old films out there of these in action.

EDIT: I found a couple video compilations on YT. One was posted by kusaimon62 and had a lot of great footage of ED42s working in multiple over what I presume is the Usui Pass. Also, a nice appearance by a D51 at the end.
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Here are all his 2020 custom models (mostly commuter trains and a lovely streetcar):

My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
Thanks Mr No

Thats a great video by Tp31-p show all his customs for 2020. Its a fun view with them all in one viewing.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No