Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Threads
Continuation of BigLobe Plarail Musuem
Last Post: Super
Today 12:49 AM
» Replies: 243
» Views: 31042
Trackmaster Revolution (TMR) New release...
Last Post: Ucwepn
Yesterday 11:57 PM
» Replies: 798
» Views: 460438
Big loader
Yesterday 08:05 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 208
FfarquharDeveloper's TrackMaster Customs
Yesterday 08:02 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 313
Plarail TOMY Thomas NEW RELEASES
Yesterday 08:00 PM
» Replies: 1099
» Views: 493664
thomas and friends mini series
Last Post: sunhuntin
Yesterday 03:06 PM
» Replies: 3191
» Views: 2079736
How Many Motorized Road Vehicles Are The...
Yesterday 04:50 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 30602
Where do you get this piece?
Yesterday 04:47 AM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 404
Motorized Alfie? (newbie question)
Last Post: Tons of Trackmasters
Yesterday 02:27 AM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 4709
Rusty's Face
Last Post: DalaGStanator
01-17-2021 09:26 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 187
I am addicted I got some New and Retro T...
Last Post: ajtrain944
01-17-2021 01:56 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 494
Mister No's Plarail Pics & Vids
01-17-2021 11:32 AM
» Replies: 431
» Views: 39258

Hornby 2021 Product Range
An interesting set of items coming from Hornby this year including a new 'kiddies' range as well as some interesting new adult models, really interested in the W1, P2 and Rocket myself Big Grin

Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Off The Rails, Mister No
I am not too impressed with the new children's, 'Play Trains' line with its tiny wheels and possible 'pinching' track connections or Hornby's attempt to start a new character show.

But I do love all the new engines coming out in its main line OO scale especially the new original version Flying Scotsman with NO smoke deflectors and the Doncastle with its six huge, spoked wheels.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
Okay, the “R. Fripp Mining” truck in the Valley Drifter set gave me a chuckle. There must be some King Crimson fans in the Hornby design studio.

The kids’ line seems logical in light of Honrby losing the Thomas license a while back. On the one hand, I look at as yet another “anthro train” wannabe Thomas attempt. On the other hand, Thomas seems to be turning in to a preschool fantasy property that has little in common with the beloved book series, so I doubt they could do much worse!

EDIT: I like those Prairie class tank engines but I wish they would’ve given us more than a brief glance. The Gresley P1/P3 Pacifics are nice too and possibly the classic British locomotive for many of us outside the UK.
Was there actually a Lifeson Coal Board or is that another hat tip to a famous guitarist?
[-] The following 2 users Like Off The Rails's post:
  • Super, Mister No
(01-07-2021, 01:10 AM)Off The Rails Wrote: Okay, the “R. Fripp Mining” truck in the Valley Drifter set gave me a chuckle. There must be some King Crimson fans in the Hornby design studio.
You noticed the name on the loco?
[Image: image.png]
On an historical note, 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' was the first vinyl LP that I ever bought. I still have it.
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Super, Mister No, DuckGWR
(01-06-2021, 02:14 PM)Super Wrote: I am not too impressed with the new children's, 'Play Trains' line with its tiny wheels and possible 'pinching' track connections or Hornby's attempt to start a new character show.

But I do love all the new engines coming out in its main line OO scale especially the new original version Flying Scotsman with NO smoke deflectors and the Doncastle with its six huge, spoked wheels.

I hear what you say Super, but at the same time consider the only competition in the kiddies market here (discounting the wooden BRIO etc...) all we have is the crappy Fisher Price Thomas range and the track etc... with that is highly suspect.  Besides the whole point of the Hornby move is to snag kids into the hobby with nominall OO gauge toys which (hopefully) Santa upgrades to a proper entry OO set at some point as the kiddie grows up leading them into the full range - at least it's nice to see someone trying to increase interest in the hobby Smile

On another note did you notice this new controller method they are pushing in the OO range?  Basically up to two trains controlled via a phone app if you have the little control box that comes with the entry level set.  As you can control two trains at once it hints at it being a very rudimentary digital setup, again like the kiddies range not a devestatingly brilliant setup, but an interesting intro to a digital setup instead of the old style analog controller used in HO/OO sets which could lead to buyers later upgrading to the full Hornby Digital offering...
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Super, Mister No
I think Playtrains are not that bad, actually. There are sets with play pad, tracks, a remote controlled bi-directional train with lights and sounds for GBP 49,99 (Train sets without the tracks for GBP 29,99). Too bad tunnels and stations are cardboard, though.

They are character trains (Thunder, Bolt and Flash) with the background story, and will have "very strong digital presence" ... I think the children will love Playtrains.
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister No's post:
  • Super
I wonder if its the same track as the early battery powered Thomas set. Hornby have certainly had many goes at capturing the junior market.

[Image: 78baf850367ae5c01c5d207e158a78b5.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • Mister No, Super, chrisjo
I have seen plastic tracks similar to this type in some other children's toy train sets. I am wondering if the tiny wheels were designed to alleviate the frustrations that children have in trying to put the trains onto the rails properly or will they make it worse?. I know that was a specific problem with my Grandson when he was quite young even with the 'O' scale larger battery operated plastic trains. This was really evident with the engines that had the 4 wheeled swiveling front trucks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Mister No
Good point Super, to be honest I don't really know.  Although I suspect like most train sets the kiddies won't be playing with it alone anyway and there will be bigger hands to help getting the trains on the track.  The use of magnetic couplings though tend to confirm they are being made for easy use so I would suspect they've gone for the best option for kiddies.  The other thing about small wheels is you can limit the speed and maybe remove the need for any level of complicated gearing thus making the motorised models more reliable...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Mister No
Yes, kids will need some help in the beginning, especially with the remote control: there are buttons for stop-go, forward-reverse, sounds... But they would figure that out quickly, I suppose. The box says: "multiple sounds" (whistles/horns?) and lights with "3 x forward & reverse speeds"! The kids would love that stuff, I'm sure! 

[Image: R9332_1_Playtrains-FLASH-1.jpg]
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
Something I find funny is how every few decades Hornby gives the Playtrain name another go, originally using it for the rereleased and defaced Meccano Percy model
[Image: 20210108-024110.jpg]
Then in the 80s for a series of clockwork sets, I believe mostly licensed (I've seen Postman Pat, and have a few Thomas sets). The rolling stock in these is very toylike
[Image: 20210108-024111.jpg]
And then again in the later 90s for another Thomas clockwork range, this time with more serious rolling stock and similar red track to the new series (all I currently have from this range is a turntable)
[Image: Vintage-Hornby-Thomas-The-Tank-Engine-Train-R9023.jpg]

the engines will also run on 00 gauge track to smooth the transition to electric sets .
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Those are so cool Duck, I love the clockwork trains. Interesting how they keep re-inventing the Playtrain Logo. I had assumned by the way the lady was talking in the video that the name and series was something totally new. Thanks Rekp Smile
Not from Hornby, but when looking on Amazon for something else a link to this kiddies train popped up, looks quite interesting as it is apparently also compatible with wooden tracks, so should probably also be compatible with blue tracks I would think;

intelino J-1 Smart Train Starter Set
The coloured tiles to which the programming reacts are clipped into slots in the special track.

[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Now thats a very cool idea where one can program with the tile placement. Don't see how that would work with the wooden rails though. I guess this must be something relatively new as they talk about a cell phone app. Am I the only person in the world to not have one of these phones?  Dodgy