Weirdest Loco You've Seen

9 Replies, 7903 Views

We've all been there, browsing around you come across some hideous or unusual locomotive (or maybe sometimes rolling stock) and think what the hell is that and who would buy it.  Well I just found one that has to be one of the weirdest I've seen to date, made by Rivarossi and I think modelled on a world war German loco (using the term very loosely).  Anyway I'll stick the link below, what ones have you guys seen?!?

Rivarossi Loco

[Image: Screenshot-2021-12-23-003341.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Mister No, Super
It's the WWII version, but the vehicle itself is a bit older...

[Image: 800px-Breuer_Lokomotor.jpg]

The Breuer locomotive engine, or Breuer tractor, is a 1913 by the Machine and armature factory H. Breuer & Co, Höchst am Main developed light shunting vehicle with a combustion engine. Between 1914 and 1957, probably more than 1000 pieces of the different types were built and sold at home and abroad. The pulling power of this locomotive was 80 to 500 tons, depending on the type. The Breuer locomotive engine was built under license by various foreign manufacturers. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breuer_Lokomotor)

Looks cool!  Cool
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 3 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Nigels, Super
This was actually what I would show as the weirdest I have seen but must give it some more thought. Did we talk about this oddity not too long ago? I am curious as the Listing says its a Diesel but Wiki article says combustion.

Does that HO model actually run?

Always thought this was odd but for the time very inventive

[Image: 9l1ltap2p6uy.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Mister No, Nigels
Fairly weird...
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Mister No, Nigels, Super
(12-23-2021, 03:55 PM)Super Wrote: Always thought this was odd but for the time very inventive

Is this "Schienenzeppelin", Hugo's basis?
My YouTube Channel: Mister No
[-] The following 2 users Like Mister No's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
It is indeed. I first saw it in a similar thread here before the character was announced, and didn't think it could even move. Somehow, I didn't recognize him as being based on it.

Also: Hugo's driver (Franz) is named after Franz Kruckenberg, who designed the real Schienenzeppelin.
[-] The following 3 users Like DalaGStanator's post:
  • GreatGordonFan, Mister No, Super
How about this?
[Image: 1348167060-by-klaudiiii.jpg]

Sadly not seen it IRL
Train it, plane it, you name it!
[-] The following 4 users Like GreatGordonFan's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Mister No, Nigels, Super
(12-23-2021, 03:55 PM)Super Wrote: This was actually what I would show as the weirdest I have seen but must give it some more thought. Did we talk about this oddity not too long ago? I am curious as the Listing says its a Diesel but Wiki article says combustion.

There is something like this in the Thomas PlaRail line isn't there?  Or maybe its the metal Thomas and Friends, but I know I've seen one.

The real one was a German experimental one I believe, I think it may have been Fleischmann who used to make an HO version of it, although don't quote me on that.  From what I recall it was actually powered by an aircraft piston engine and did actually enter service for a short period at least.

Definitely another oddity...
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • DalaGStanator, Super
(12-23-2021, 04:11 PM)chrisjo Wrote: Fairly weird...
[Image: image.png]

Now that is a smoke stack, you think the designer was compensating for something? Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
(12-23-2021, 10:49 PM)Nigels Wrote:
(12-23-2021, 03:55 PM)Super Wrote: This was actually what I would show as the weirdest I have seen but must give it some more thought. Did we talk about this oddity not too long ago? I am curious as the Listing says its a Diesel but Wiki article says combustion.

There is something like this in the Thomas PlaRail line isn't there?  Or maybe its the metal Thomas and Friends, but I know I've seen one.

The real one was a German experimental one I believe, I think it may have been Fleischmann who used to make an HO version of it, although don't quote me on that.  From what I recall it was actually powered by an aircraft piston engine and did actually enter service for a short period at least.

Definitely another oddity...
Yes, Trackmaster Revolution Hugo.  Interesting concept but not practical and very dangerous for those who stand close to the platform edge
My Trackmaster/Tomy/Plarail Photo Gallery Page (over 600+ photos and still under construction)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183311600@N03/
[-] The following 1 user Likes leylandvictory2's post:
  • DalaGStanator