Hornby 2021 Product Range

27 Replies, 16463 Views

Something I find funny is how every few decades Hornby gives the Playtrain name another go, originally using it for the rereleased and defaced Meccano Percy model
[Image: 20210108-024110.jpg]
Then in the 80s for a series of clockwork sets, I believe mostly licensed (I've seen Postman Pat, and have a few Thomas sets). The rolling stock in these is very toylike
[Image: 20210108-024111.jpg]
And then again in the later 90s for another Thomas clockwork range, this time with more serious rolling stock and similar red track to the new series (all I currently have from this range is a turntable)
[Image: Vintage-Hornby-Thomas-The-Tank-Engine-Train-R9023.jpg]

the engines will also run on 00 gauge track to smooth the transition to electric sets .
I have a website where I have been writing about and photographing many of the sets and pieces that I find interesting.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 12:16 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 2 users Like DuckGWR's post:
  • chrisjo, Super
Those are so cool Duck, I love the clockwork trains. Interesting how they keep re-inventing the Playtrain Logo. I had assumned by the way the lady was talking in the video that the name and series was something totally new. Thanks Rekp Smile
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Not from Hornby, but when looking on Amazon for something else a link to this kiddies train popped up, looks quite interesting as it is apparently also compatible with wooden tracks, so should probably also be compatible with blue tracks I would think;

intelino J-1 Smart Train Starter Set
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
The coloured tiles to which the programming reacts are clipped into slots in the special track.

[Image: image.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 10:01 PM by Super.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Now thats a very cool idea where one can program with the tile placement. Don't see how that would work with the wooden rails though. I guess this must be something relatively new as they talk about a cell phone app. Am I the only person in the world to not have one of these phones?  Dodgy
(01-08-2021, 10:05 PM)Super Wrote: Am I the only person in the world to not have one of these phones?  Dodgy
Yes, probably!
Estimated number of mobile devices in use 2020 worldwide = 14.02 billion
Estimated population of world 2020 = 7.8 billion
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Ah...so I am the only sane one Big Grin

Honestly, if you look at the world today it may be this connection that is screwing it up with social media....come on...everybody...save the world and mankind....throw out your phones now!!!

Its not global warning we should be worried about...its the media Wink
Actual Super, you’re wise for thinking this way. (I’m typing this out on my iPhone, BTW.)

I’m sorry to say but we’ve become absolute slaves to these devices and the “services” they help provide. I’m trying remain apolitical here and I apologize if I’m not doing a very good job at it. However, Facebook and Twitter are like something out of a dystopian 80s cyberpunk novel or movie. Eldon Tyrell (a man who grew human slaves in a laboratory at an industrial scale) is a saint compared to Dorsey and Zuckerburg. Tim Cook turned Apple into a weird, Steve Jobs religious cult that happens to make computer-ish devices of various sorts.

This board is about the extent of my “social media” nowadays. I realize how much more I like this format compared to the dopamine fix of today’s platforms.

Again, sorry. We’re here to talk about toy trains mostly. I enjoy various “technology services” like most people. But I’m examining the role these things play in my life, the lives of my family and in society over all. I’m not pleased.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
(01-08-2021, 10:05 PM)Super Wrote: Now thats a very cool idea where one can program with the tile placement. Don't see how that would work with the wooden rails though. I guess this must be something relatively new as they talk about a cell phone app. Am I the only person in the world to not have one of these phones?  Dodgy

Actually the coloured token idea is I think borrowed from the old Lego Duplo trains, I believe in prior incarnations you could affect how the motorised trains would behave, for example go forwards or backwards.  Of course nothing as sophisticated as this and definitely no phone app stuff, but fundamentally very similar just enhanced.

As for not having "one of these phones" are you telling me you don't have a smart phone of any type Super?  Angel

If so I'm amazed in this day and age as you have to really go out of your way to avoid iPhones (overrated, overpriced, copycat junk these days) and Android (more innovative due to the open source nature that allows individual companies to produce new features/functions).  I know there are still a few 'old school' phones out there like the re-launched Nokia's, but they are well only for those who want to just talk or need massive battery life...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nigels's post:
  • Super
(01-09-2021, 11:02 PM)Nigels Wrote: As for not having "one of these phones" are you telling me you don't have a smart phone of any type Super?  Angel

If so I'm amazed in this day and age as you have to really go out of your way to avoid iPhones (overrated, overpriced, copycat junk these days) and Android

Not going out of my way to avoid them just don't see the purpose for me.

Not unless you want to include my 17 year old pre-paid minutes Flip Phone what you younguns have now a days. I leave it in my car uncharged in case I break down and need help. Doesn't have texting or a camera and because Its not kept charged I receive no calls but then again I don't give out the number to anyone but my daughter.

Don't have never had any need or want for these things and I can't stand carrying things in my pockets (except for a knife and Chapstick).  Anyway I have always hated talking on the phone, heck my land line phone in my house doesn't even have the ringer on as I don't need to talk with anyone  LOL. Big Grin